Thank you! - savings so far

Just wanted to say thank you for the website and the 'it pays to watch' show. I started my financial overhaul around 3 weeks ago and I have so far saved:
£100 on car insurance for the year
£136 by switching my gas and electric (waited for the green light!) for the year
and a staggering £528 for the year on my home phone and broadband package.
Thats £764!
I have also manage to transfer my credit card to a 0% for the lifetime of the balance.
Next on the list is my husbands car insurance and the home insurance both shortly due for renewal.
Also baby due any day so all these savings will come in handy for the extra nappies.....and Ive just spotted an article to save on nappies so it gets better and better!
Thank you once again:A

Comments

• jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Well done and congrats on the impending arrival! Let us know how you get on. :)

You might find joining the Parent Club Thread HERE useful for general chat and moneysaving tips about babies, kids and parenting.
  • started the money overhaul
    home & contents insurance searched ALL providers through the comparisson sites saved £105.00 for the year
    transferred Gas & Electric also at the Green light should save £200.00 a year
    moved the phone bill to online billing saved £12.00
    set up a 6.5% ISA
    also set up little accounts to save towards the car tax for two cars £25.00 a month in the Principality e-saver account, good intrest payer
    mortgage been reviewed & renewed now paying £20.00 less a month with a tracker thats lets me freeze the intrest rate charge when i say so (LLoyds)
    Cancelled my Account privilage charges and gone for a standard account
    saving £204.00 (more than enough to buy car breakdown cover and travel insurance)
    this years saving in the region of £656.00 not bad!

PS part of my job invloves fueling up the company vehicles , always go to Tesco's collect the ClubCard points should have enough after 6 months to pay for RAC cover through it's deals scheme.
  • cotalires
    cotalires Posts: 22 Forumite
    I want to say think you to this website and Martin as well. Without him I can't imagine where I will be with my savings!
    Although I have not calculated exact savings but I can share the following:
    - Energy costs(per month) below £30 for Electricity and £35 for Gas. (mainly to retrofitting every single light in my house with energy saving lights)
    - 20,000 miles with BMI and a Free return flight with BA though Airmiles all for signing up to credit cards!
    - About £150 chasback from cashback credit card.
    - Car insurance saving of about £400.
    - Opened my eyes to dodgy Supermarket branding practices: especially changing layout of the goods so you have to go thorugh all the isles again...
    - Overseas Phonecalls.
    - And finally Matchedbetting!

:money: :money: :money: :money: :money: :money: :money:
    Matchedbetting profits - £1,500 since Feb 08 :beer:
  • homealone_2
    homealone_2 Posts: 2,004
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just wanted to say thank you for the website and the 'it pays to watch' show. I started my financial overhaul around 3 weeks ago and I have so far saved:
    £100 on car insurance for the year
    £136 by switching my gas and electric (waited for the green light!) for the year
    and a staggering £528 for the year on my home phone and broadband package.
    Thats £764!
    I have also manage to transfer my credit card to a 0% for the lifetime of the balance.
    Next on the list is my husbands car insurance and the home insurance both shortly due for renewal.
    Also baby due any day so all these savings will come in handy for the extra nappies.....and Ive just spotted an article to save on nappies so it gets better and better!
    Thank you once again:A

well done and keep up the good work, by the way which credit card was offering 0% on balance?
  • Im sorry homealone, blame the pregnancy hormones, I got mixed up and didnt mean 0% (I was just about to give birth any day!:o ) the credit card was the citiback one at 5.9% (I think it was something like that) for the life of the balance you transfer. Its work out about £8.70 per month in interest for me on a balance of £1800, so still excellent value. This offer has finished now so I would check Martins advice on the latest.

Jo_b apologies for the delay, had a baby boy, Connor Michael weighed 7lb 130z and is now 10 weeks old, of course not much time to chat or post but am still making savings, such as just saved my hubby £470 on car insurance and breakdown cover and am in process of reclaiming the PPI on his credit card he didnt know he was paying.:D Thanks for the babythread link too!
    Well done to all of you who have made such huge savings:T what would we do without Martin!
  • jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Jo_b apologies for the delay, had a baby boy, Connor Michael weighed 7lb 130z and is now 10 weeks old, of course not much time to chat or post but am still making savings, such as just saved my hubby £470 on car insurance and breakdown cover and am in process of reclaiming the PPI on his credit card he didnt know he was paying.:D Thanks for the babythread link too!

Congratulations on baby Connor. :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport