Thermostat Question

Options
I hope someone may be able to help
we have bought a 3 storey newbuild, and the builder has put the thermostat in the lounge (ground lfoor)

Obviously, the living room gets to temperature (with people in it!) and the stat kicks off, and turns off ALL central heating in the house.

Leaving main bedroom freezing cold. :confused:

Logically, the best place to put it would be in hte hallway (either ground floor or middle floor), but the builder has simply stated that it is fine where it is.

Do any of you clever people know of any "best practice" guidelines that would indicate otherwise (Corgi or similar) ?

Without a opint of reference, the builder willsimply say tough....deal with it.

Looking forward to your help !!!!!

Comments

• WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Google for the maker of the thermostat and see if you can get a copy of the instalation instructions - that may indicate where it "should" be installed.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My room thermostat is in the lounge, with al the radiators running when the lounge gets up to temperature the bedrooms tend to be 2 degrees or so lower.
    If this is not the case may be you need to balance the system, i.e adjust the flow through the radiators so that more heat goes upstairs.
    BTW Its normal to have TRVs on the rads in the other rooms is this the case?
    As an experiment you could try turning down the valve on the lounge rad so it takes a little longer to warm the room.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • dukesy_2
    dukesy_2 Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    yes...all the other rads do have TRV, and we have all excl lounge on full, and lounge on lower for that reason, but the main bedroom is 4-5 degrees lower.

Main problem is that we have a newborn, and need to keep the temp in THAT room relatively constant.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I must admit I cannot quite see the logic of putting the thermostat in the lounge, we had the same problem added to which we have a large lounge with a feature gas fire, consequently whenever we used the fire we found the thermostat was switching the heating off and the other rooms were cold.

I moved the thermostat to the hall which is the coldest space in the house and now by adjustment of the thermostat and TRV's we have reasonable temperature control for all the rooms in the house.
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could always fit an RF thermostat to allow you to relocate it to the bedroom without having to run in new cabling.
  • Canucklehead
    Options
    Hi

This is what you asked for.http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/uploads/documents/housingbuildings/ce30.pdf

The builder has done nothing wrong.(except I think you are saying the lounge has a TRV ? It should not have one as the room stat is in the same room) I would relocate the stat to the hall.

Corgi Guy.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • dukesy_2
    Options
    Great

Thanks for that

that is exactly what I was looking for !!!

WIll go and beat builder over head acordingly !!!

Dukesy
  • ryandj
    ryandj Posts: 523 Forumite
    Options
    We have a thermostat in the dining room, and use the valves in each room to balance it out so they are warm enough. Although i dont like to sleep in a really warm room however!
  • dukesy_2
    dukesy_2 Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    So, I *(and another person on development) have raised this issue, but the builder has simply said Tough

The installation engineer has admitted that it is "not usual or best practice", but this has had no effect.

I have been as reasonoable as possible, but they are simply refusing to bear any resposibility

I am considering issuing a county court summons for the costs of rectifiying using a wireless thermostat (approx £250), what are everyone elses thoughts ?

I have, IMHO, given them ample opportunity to put things right, but to no avail.
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Good evening: Sorry to hear you haven't had the desired outcome. Wireless thermostats aren't an overly complex item to fit....the model you need is dependent on the boiler in question...you can pick one up for less than £100. Do you know anyone who is competent to fit the stat? Don't think it is worth going to court over especially as the builder has provided a room stat albeit in the wrong location.

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure