PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How much does a new roof cost?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• weeg
    weeg Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    mudgekin wrote: »
    BigAunty

Diod you ever get anywhere with the quotes for your roof.

I am in the central belt and really need to have my roof looked at. I am tired of paying to get a persostant leak fixed only to find water coming in each time there is really heavy rain.

I am in an upstairs flat (no factors) and none of my neighbours are prepared to fork out towards a new roof so it looks like I will need to pick up the tab myself.

It might be worth getting your hands on the tenement handbook. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Tenement-Handbook-Practical-Living/dp/187319014X

Even if it isn't a tenement, but is still a block of flats, the same rules apply, and your neighbours probably have a legal obligation to pay - and, under the Tenement act (2004) you might be able to pursue them for costs through the small claims.
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 December 2013 at 2:33PM
    Options
    mudgekin wrote: »
    BigAunty

Diod you ever get anywhere with the quotes for your roof.

I am in the central belt and really need to have my roof looked at. I am tired of paying to get a persostant leak fixed only to find water coming in each time there is really heavy rain.

I am in an upstairs flat (no factors) and none of my neighbours are prepared to fork out towards a new roof so it looks like I will need to pick up the tab myself.

I have found a roofer I'm happy with, with a quote I understand but its still v.expensive so I've accepted that it must be the going rate for this area. The company hasn't completed the work so I can't rate them but they have been going a long time, not sure if they cover the central area but send me a private message and I'll give you their details.

To avoid fly by night roofing companies, you can check how long they've been established by using the web check services on the companies house database. You could also restrict your search to companies that belong to professional organisations like the federation of master roofers or master builders, for example.

With regards to your stingy fellow tenement flat owners, look at the Shelter website as they have a section on Factoring and self factoring, plus examine your deeds for obligations. The Shelter site will also say how to set up a Tenement Management Scheme, self factoring,though its still going to require the cooperation of the majority of other people to make it really work.

Are there many rental properties in your block? Do you know if the landlords are on the landlords registration scheme?

If the owners have an obligation to pay (which I think they may under the tenements act), if you can't persuade them to pay their share and you've done the quote through the proper process, then you may need to take them to the Sheriff court or put a note of liability against their deeds (which lasts for 5 years and means if they try to sell, either they or their buyer must pay you).

We have entire streets of slum tenements in parts of Glasgow,like Govanhill, caused precisely because owners (though typically buy to let landlords with rental properties) did not pay for basic maintenance for their properties and they are now dilapidated and some are not now inhabitable (my friend was evacuated from a similarly neglected block when a supporting wall bulged).

Does your local council have a scheme to force repairs in private sector properties? In Edinburgh, for example, the local council will undertake repairs in properties where owners have failed to do them and then they take legal action to recoup the costs. Might be for just for dangerous buildings though. I'm sure councils won't want to get sucked into every shared bill in every property.
  • woking_bob
    Options
    We had a couple of leaks through our tiled roof. A roofing (limited) company would not give a quote before starting the job, saying they needed to see what the roofing felt etc was like and needed to removed areas of tiles to find out.
    They quoted us £15,000 to do the job, but they had already removed several areas of tiles and started replacing battens before giving me the price, so I was not able to dispute it at that stage. I negotiated the price down to £14,250, and they made me sign a "quotation" at this price.
    The bungalow is detached with a roof area of about 250 sq m with 2 dormer windows (one an "eyebrow" shape). That works out at about £57 per sq m. It includes removing moss, re-using existing tiles (mostly), new felt, spraying with fungicide and removing the ridge.
    Am I being ripped off or is this a reasonable price for work in Surrey?
    They reckon 7-8 days work for 4 guys. I think I should see the price separated into labour and materials.
  • randykurm
    randykurm Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I guess in the other parts of the country the cost would be much less, but I was told that for London (particularly Central London!) this was the fair price.
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    woking_bob wrote: »
    We had a couple of leaks through our tiled roof. A roofing (limited) company would not give a quote before starting the job, saying they needed to see what the roofing felt etc was like and needed to removed areas of tiles to find out.
    They quoted us £15,000 to do the job, but they had already removed several areas of tiles and started replacing battens before giving me the price, so I was not able to dispute it at that stage. I negotiated the price down to £14,250, and they made me sign a "quotation" at this price.
    The bungalow is detached with a roof area of about 250 sq m with 2 dormer windows (one an "eyebrow" shape). That works out at about £57 per sq m. It includes removing moss, re-using existing tiles (mostly), new felt, spraying with fungicide and removing the ridge.
    Am I being ripped off or is this a reasonable price for work in Surrey?
    They reckon 7-8 days work for 4 guys. I think I should see the price separated into labour and materials.

Big, big alarm bells. That sounds a very unprofessional approach. Of course, you could have disputed the quote - you didn't have to sign anything just because they took it upon themselves to poke about on the roof.

They seem to have intimidated you into signing that quote. If they needed to remove tiles and battens to take a look, then it should either be at their expense in order to quote for the work or they should charge a fee to provide a quotation because of that step.

I really don't like the way they muscled you into signing the contract just because they spent 30 mins removing a couple of tiles or inspecting battens. You appear to be paying more for what is essentially a roof repair (as they claim to be reusing most of the tiles anyway...) than what some owners are paying for a full gutter and roof replacement!

Did you get any other quotes? Do they belong to a professional body (like the Master Builders or Roofing Federation? Did you take up any references from previous clients? Did you verify their limited company status at the Companies House online database (web check) to see how long they've been trading or if they continually change their name.

I would speak to your trading standards or a consumer organisation to see if you can cancel the work.

You seem to have been bullied into it by their unecessary act of removing battens without warning.

I've probably received around 9 roofing quotes (repairs or replacement) for 4 different properties to date and absolutely no roofer has started to take tiles or battens of the roof to quote for the work and absolutely none have cornered me with a quote then and there - they've sent them in the post.

A person with a firmer backbone would have said 'you can put those batterns back and send the quote in the post'.

I had a roof replaced in London for a 3 bed terrace (no dormer windows, couldn't tell you the size) 8years ago and got quotes in the region of 6-9k from companies registered with an accredited body. I paid 6k and it took 1 bloke about 5 days to do by himself.
  • jdw2000
    jdw2000 Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any idea how much it costs to re-roof a 2-bed house in London thesedays?

It's an Victorian house with the original slate roof, so the timbers will need to be replaced too, I imagine.

An alternative idea I have is to use the opportunity to convert the loft, because this will mean getting the roof replaced at the same time.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    whirlwind wrote: »
    Thansk - that's very cheap. I was told £20,000 as a quote for a smaller 3 bed house from a friend.
    I think I would re evaluate the friendship.
  • sam28091986
    Options
    Can anybody help? Ive just had a servay done and its come back that the timber frame work on the roof has spread apart at the ridge due to lack of trangulation front and rear slopes need strenghning to prevent damage. Anybody any idea how much i would be looking at?
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's best not to hijack old threads. The simple answer is to arrange for a quote from a roofer.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    £3-6k at a guess
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income