Itchy Spaniel!

Options
Hi
Hoping someone can help me. I've just taken in a cocker spaniel - long story but basicaly neighbours getting divorced - poor dog neglected.
He's an absolute hoot to have around and loving all the attention - not to mention my kids who already adore him. I've applied for Pet insurance (last Friday) but he seems to be going bald in places and scratching constantly. NEighbour said they frontlined him for fleas but the poor soul is all itchy and very scabby. I did try a flea shampoo on him and haven't found anything in the way of wee jumpies!
I'd like to get him into the vet but the insurance doesn't cover illness untill 14 days have passed and I'm worried that if this is something that might recur I wont ever be covered for treatment which I most definaltly can't afford
- Can anyone give me a stop gap treatment/advice to help him in the meantime. I can't bare watching his face as he desperately tries to feel more comfortable.

Kristy

Comments

• orlao
    orlao Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is there any chance he has mange? then he has to have a vet visit but it shouldn't be a recurring problem!

The thing is that even if he has/had fleas the scratching has irratated(sp!) his skin so much that even though they are gone he will still itch and he may have an skin infection. TBH if he has scabs I would expect he has!

I'm sorry, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but if was mine I would be at the vets tomorrow.......

Well done for taking him on though
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Check him carefully with a flea comb - it might not be fleas and the repeat treatment and washing could just be aggrevating it.
    It might be mange although I think spaniels are susseptible to having skin problems... But that could be my memory playing up.
    Try your local pet shop for something to help settle his skin and if there isn't any improvement then you'll have to check with the vets - if they determine there IS a problem then unfortunately your insurance probably won't cover it anyway as it was a pre-exsisting condition :( Worth checking tho
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Whats he fed on? A lot of foods can cause a dog to itch enough to scratch through to the skin. Also it could be a habit born of anxiety, esp if hes been starved of attention of late - cockers are very human orientated dogs

A child's dose of piriton will help with the itching BUT he still needs to be seen by a vet asap. And to be honest, one visit to the vets is not likely to be covered by your insurance once you take in account the excess you have to pay. If you really are concerned about not being able to pay the bill maybe you can ask the previous owners to chip in?
  • keelyjrs
    keelyjrs Posts: 547 Forumite
    Options
    Our Springer has food allergies which is apparantly very common. I'd suggest feeding him on only something like burns or nutrience as commercial food sold in pet shops contains too much rubbish that dog's shouldn't really have. We used to give him Bakers complete and our vet went doolally!! She said to stay away from all the colored stuff and tinned meat and never give human food.

When our dog has managed to get something with wheat in he gets very itchy and we use medicated shampoo with tea tree oil to soothe him and otodex drops in his ears as they get very itchy and scabby too
    oops.. forgot to say that I would definately advise seeing the vet though as it's not fair to leave him in discomfort. If you receive certain benefits, you may be entitled to help from the PDSA
    Keely
  • keelyjrs
    keelyjrs Posts: 547 Forumite
    Options
    I've just thought... I think the rules of the board ask that we don't ask for or give advice on health issues?? Don't want any of us to get into trouble!
    Keely
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,910 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd suggest going to the vet sooner rather than later. If it is something like mange, it can be very contagious, and needs sorting asap. If you leave it for the 14 days, it'll be obvious that the dog has had the problem for longer, and the vet will probably have to say that on the form they fill in, so it might not be covered anyway.
    I had a similar situation with mine when I got her - she had mange, so the insurance excluded that for the next 2 years, but covered everything else.
    The cost of treatment was about the same as the excess, so I didn't lose out, and it never came back - caught from foxes apparently ( one of the ways, anyway.)
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • prison_break_fan
    Options
    Quick Update

Just back from the vets and it is mange - have got antibiotics and a solution wash so hopefully he'll feel a little better soon.

Thanks for all your help

Kristy
  • nuttywoman
    nuttywoman Posts: 2,203 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We have a cocker - rescue dog - and he had a very itchy coat. I thought it was food related cos he also had a sensitive tummy, i`ve put him on James Wellbeloved lamb and rice, think it is.Its specially for itchy coat and funny tummy and he no longer suffers.His coat is really glossy now.Hope this helps.
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quick Update

Just back from the vets and it is mange - have got antibiotics and a solution wash so hopefully he'll feel a little better soon.

Thanks for all your help

Kristy

Aww poor baby I hope he feels better soon ! must be horrible for him all the change when he's not feeling his best...bet he's going to love all the attention he's going to get over the next weeks lol.
    I've never had a dog with Mange only excema from flea bites but concentrating on good food & keeping them slightly cool seemed to help with the itch - I never dryed mine after a bath - let them dry naturally (indoors in colder weather) that seemed to keep the itch away longer - its what I do to myself when my excema flares up! (in my hair that is lol)
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • tlck9
    tlck9 Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've got a rescue springer and he had itchy skin, he was given some strong shampoo from the vets, white bottle with blue writing. It provided short term realeif for him, but we also put him on arden grange

this reduced his pink skin and now he is fine, the shampoo or be it epensive, worked a treat and the long term food change, has meant that after 3 months he was fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure