A week without internet? - Help

Options
beachbeth
beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Im changing from Ntl to Bt on 19th November and will also be cancelling Ntl broadband on that day too. Trouble is, Bt say I have to wait a week after that until I can sign up to their broadband. Im not going to have Bt Broadband anyway, but does this mean I have to wait a week to sign up with someone else (eg e7even?).

Does anyone have any ideas what to do during this week. Shall I go back to dialup for a month as I still have my dial up modem? Bt Yahoo are doing an offer on dial up, a £1 for the first month and you are only committed to stay for one month too. I don't know if I could stand going back to dial up though!

Anyone else done anything similar?

Comments

• tightbarsteward
    Options
    I had the same problem a few months ago so I signed up for AOL's free introductory offer. Dont know what it is at the moment but they are always free CD's at supermarket checkouts so next time your shopping check it out. When I got my broadband back on I just cancelled AOL dialup which was much easier than I thought it might have been. Make sure you obtain the cancellation code though just in case. The only problem is the crappy AOL web browser that is installed when you sign up.
  • gary38uk
    gary38uk Posts: 476 Forumite
    Options
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Im changing from Ntl to Bt on 19th November and will also be cancelling Ntl broadband on that day too. Trouble is, Bt say I have to wait a week after that until I can sign up to their broadband. Im not going to have Bt Broadband anyway, but does this mean I have to wait a week to sign up with someone else (eg e7even?).

Does anyone have any ideas what to do during this week. Shall I go back to dialup for a month as I still have my dial up modem? Bt Yahoo are doing an offer on dial up, a £1 for the first month and you are only committed to stay for one month too. I don't know if I could stand going back to dial up though!

Anyone else done anything similar?

Once BT have activated the telephone line - it normally takes about 24/48 hours before the number appears on their ADSL checker and you can order ADSL/broadband. - from any ISP - then takes 3/5 days before it goes "live" after ordering

However, if you find your number is not in the ADSL checker, your ISP may be willing to submit a "manual order" - which means you/they don't need to wait until it appears on the ADSL checkers - thus saving a day or two

Some ISP's are more willing to do manual orders than others - until your ADSL is live use a dial up modem and a free trial :)

Regards
    Sunil
  • rushnowt
    rushnowt Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    Options
    aol dial up are offering 2 months free @ the moment and if you ring to cancel they give you another month free too, although i have aol broadband myself ??? and looking to change after reading alot of info on here i wouldn't recommend them, but maybe something to use as a stop gap :-/
    Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your permission ;)

Love doesn't make the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile

ya still freezing :p

• dag_2
    dag_2 Posts: 793 Forumite
    Options
    Bt Yahoo are doing an offer on dial up, a £1 for the first month and you are only committed to stay for one month too. I don't know if I could stand going back to dial up though!
    Cheap at twice the price! :) I was going to suggest checking saynoto0870.com to find geographic 56k dialups that you can use with Call18866 - BT Connect seems to work, last time I checked.

Net4Nowt and ISPreview are good sources of info.

Many of the ISP's that give a free or cheap first month's trial make it incredibly difficult to cancel. However, they sometimes offer a tariff change option on their web site, or automated phone service. Changing from unmetered to pay-as-you-go tariff is usually a lot easier than trying to cancel formally.

Personally I've never trusted AOL, due to the fact you need to use proprietary software to connect with AOL.

You are aware that the cable modem you used for NTL won't work with ADSL on a BT line, aren't you? You will probably need to get a new modem. There are ADSL deals that include a modem, but it's generally better to buy your own modem and filters, and go for a "wires only" deal. That way, you won't need an engineer visit, and it gives you more flexibility to change supplier or move house. The best ADSL deals at the moment seem to be from Metronet and V21.
    :p
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    Options
    Rushnowt, I believe that Ntl will want their broadband equipment back anyway, won't they? So I know I will either have to buy a modem or sign up to someone that provides one. Im very interested in Metronet but it says you already have to be with a broadband provider in order to migrate over to them. I don't think I can migrate from Ntl to Metronet, it has to be a Bt based company. So Metronet is out of the question for me.

I think E7even may be the best for me. I can't sign up to them until I have my live Bt phone number. This is why I wanted a cheap or free dial up service as a stop gap until my Bt number is live.
  • Toxteth_OGrady
    Options
    @beachbeth

Sign up to a 'No monthly fee' pay-as-you-go dial up ISP. These typically provide you with an 0845 connection and you only pay for the call time whilst you are connected online.

A good example is Freeola:
    Freeola 0845 Dial Up is a Pay As You Go dial-up connection.
    Local call charges to our dial up numbers (0845 112 1200 and 0845 112 1400) will appear on your normal phone bill (under 50 pence per hour off-peak*). There is nothing more to pay and no monthly fee. Fast internet access from the free ISP.

See here . You even get a free domain name and e-mail address that you will still be able to POP3 access with your broadband connection. Saves having to change your e-mail address everytime you change ISP.

TOG
    604!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family