We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Longhorn's most useful feature 'leaked 'as XP tweak!

Options
2»

Comments

• shrek101
    shrek101 Posts: 2,249 Forumite
    Options
    I just checked this out mine is set to 5.

No longer a user, goodbye folks. PLEASE delete my account. Thank you
  • drlight_2
    drlight_2 Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    prefetcher predicts what your going to to an loads it into memory for faster access but when you switch your pc off your memory goes,
    superfetcher is having a flash card built into your harddrive to use so when you turn it off it will still be there,
    it could also be used to load your boot files into it and you would have a pretty fast startup,

harddrives don't have flash cards because ms asked maxtor to implement it but they havn't because it would add £8 onto the price

You can get them if you buy full systems, probably laptops as the flash card would mean less harddrive spin & more battery life.
    I don't think it will make any differance in xp unless you had the right drive.
    I'm gonna write it into my reg, but i think i'll do a restore point first.
  • wolfman
    wolfman Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    Options
    The superfetch is a more advanced part of the prefetch. It's basically for optimizing cache usage for commonly used programs.

The settings I gave originally were for the prefetch, I was just assuming they'd be similar for the superfetch. Although a) the source came via the inquirer (the tabloid of the online world), and b) I can't see it making any difference, especially as it doesn't really apply to current technology.

I think changing it to 1 is either giving a placebo effect, or changing the prefetcher so that applications load more quickly, but boot time suffers.

I'll give it a try here on my work machine and post back my findings.
    "Boonowa tweepi, ha, ha."
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    wolfman wrote:
    ....I was just assuming they'd be similar for the superfetch. Although a) the source came via the inquirer (the tabloid of the online world)...
    I noticed that when I googled EnableSuperfetch but googling Superfetch on its own came up with a few more hits - some of which did relate to longhorn!
  • sheraz2
    sheraz2 Posts: 1,637 Forumite
    Options
    anyone to let me know how to change the registry settings
    God made man, man made money, money made man mad
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income