Longhorn's most useful feature 'leaked 'as XP tweak!

Options
Use the following at your own risk!!!
Microsoft claims Longhorn will be, er, faster

The only reason why its faster is they added a superfetch feature to the prefetcher. If you look at the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\Prefetcher

you will notice in windows xp

EnablePrefetcher = 3 and you will notice in windows longhorn
EnableSuperfetch = 1

Well, guess what? You can put the EnableSuperfetch = 1 in windows xp and get the same speed.

Wow, Microsoft just added a feature that was already there in xp.

I've done mine and the difference is quite noticable. IE: Time your word pad opening before and after!! :eek:

P.S. I haven't put instructions because if you don't know how to get to registry settings you shouldn't be playing!

Comments

• criminal_smile
    Options
    ooohh...can't wait to get home and try that. Missus will crack up though....as I'm supposed to be painting. :rotfl:
    I'm gonna blame you ST
    I haven't been asked to tell you that I'm the [highlight]Board Drunk[/highlight] for this board. As the night wears on, my posts will become worse, with simple spelling mistakes, inane ramblings, and a blatant disregard for the truth. I have no authority to do anything, so there's no point asking or telling me. If you see me past midnight, please tell me to get my coat and order me a taxi.

Free Ebay Simple Profit/Loss Spreadsheet. PM me for a download link.
  • danmanchester
    danmanchester Posts: 1,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I was looking at some Longhorn discs for sale on ebay (!) obviously copies of the beta testers release 5048....am tempted to try it and run on a partition, good or bad idea? (ie:would I be breaking any laws?)
  • sheraz2
    sheraz2 Posts: 1,637 Forumite
    Options
    hi all

if you could post some instructions on how to do it would be great as i would love to try but not too familiar with the resgistry.

thanks
    God made man, man made money, money made man mad
  • danmanchester
    danmanchester Posts: 1,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Don't modify your registry sheraz2 unless you're really comfortable with it as you could completely !!!!!! up your system!!!
  • sheraz2
    sheraz2 Posts: 1,637 Forumite
    Options
    well i have registry mechanic and was thinking of backing up the registry before i made any changes.
    God made man, man made money, money made man mad
  • wolfman
    wolfman Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    Options
    It's not really a tweak as such, more a setting. Has been around for a while. It just modifies how the prefetcher (a kind of cache folder) works.

There are a number of settings you can tweak it for:
    0 - Disabled
    1 - Application
    2 - Boot
    3 - Both

3 is the recommended setting (and I think default) as it's tweaked for both boot and applications. You can change is but what you gain in one respect you lose in another.
    "Boonowa tweepi, ha, ha."
  • tightbarsteward
    Options
    If your bothered about buggering up your registry just set a system restore point before you you run regedit.

Go to system tools > system restore.

Very quick & handy tool for backing up the registry.
  • freeonline
    freeonline Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    I was looking at some Longhorn discs for sale on ebay (!) obviously copies of the beta testers release 5048....am tempted to try it and run on a partition, good or bad idea? (ie:would I be breaking any laws?)

Last version is Windows Longhorn 5203(Longhorn 1 beta Build 5203)
    released just a few days ago.
    Not yet available or leaked.
    Start familiarize yourself with it. Read the instructions carefully before install it if you decided to.
    No idea about the law but i think the licence is for 180 days before it expires.
    My right to smoke ends
    when your right to breathe begins

Will God forgive my deadly sins?
    Will Britons forgive me ever since?

Good Smoker Campaign
  • Lawbag_2
    Lawbag_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    Options
    the beta build is targeted at specific users, part of the agreement for using the software is between Microsoft and the User. I would imagine part of that agreement dictates that the software cannot be sold or given away.

beware,
    "See you on the Other Side"
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    wolfman wrote:
    It's not really a tweak as such, more a setting. Has been around for a while. It just modifies how the prefetcher (a kind of cache folder) works.

There are a number of settings you can tweak it for:
    0 - Disabled
    1 - Application
    2 - Boot
    3 - Both

3 is the recommended setting (and I think default) as it's tweaked for both boot and applications. You can change is but what you gain in one respect you lose in another.
    Are those settings for the "EnablePrefetcher" and/or the new DWord reg key, "EnableSuperfetch", as discussed in the OP?

I've just added the new DWord reg key as indicated and do believe the speed has increased but it could be in my mind (if you know what I mean) so i'll add this tweak to other computers which are actually slow and see if they notice it. Won't tell them I've done it and if it does truly work then they'll notice. If that makes sense?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure