🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Repossession?

Options
13»

Comments

• homeworkgirl
    Options
    jet77 wrote: »
    Homeworkgirl ... def take all your paperwork down to CAB ASAP. I think you now have to ring for an appointment in my local area to get seen ... it's not on a first come first served basis anymore. yell will have the number on for your nearest. I believe that benefit wise you will be entitled to Child Benefit, Child Tax Credit, Incapacity Benefit, housing benefit and Council Tax benefit. The housing benefit will pay the interest on up to £100k's worth of mortgage.

good luck hun ... feel free to pm me anytime (((HUGS))) and chin up xxx

Hi Jet

Unfortunately the CAB's near me are so bogged down with debt problems that they have a long waiting time for appointments, that is why I went to the CCCS instead.

Isn't housing benefit just for people in rented accommodation? The other benefits you have quoted seem to be correct but I think it is Income Support that helps with the mortgage interest.
  • jet77
    jet77 Posts: 1,586 Forumite
    Options
    Looks like it is in with the Income Support and that you have to wait 39 weeks to qualify ... sorry if I got your hopes up . I've just found this on the benefits board...

Income Support, Income based Jobseekers Allowance or Pension Credit can include an amount for mortgage interest and other related housing costs.

No help is given for capital payments or endowment premiums and some costs may be restricted, if for example, the mortgage amount is excessive. Some people have to wait for a certain period before they get help. For example:

* Someone aged under 60 who took out their mortgage after 1 October 1995, has to wait 39 weeks before they get any help, then full housing costs may be payable after that.
    * People under 60 who took out their mortgage before 2 October 1995 get nothing for the first 8 weeks, 50% for the next 18 weeks and full help after that.

Some people get full help straight away - such as:

* People aged 60 and over,
    * Those who have already been on Income Support or Income based Jobseekers Allowance for the relevant waiting period
    JUST DO IT ONE BRICK AT A TIME
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
    Weekly Budget: groceries£50/petrol£50/Unnecesary£15
    DEBT PAID = 58% (£4,212/£8216):T
  • jet77
    jet77 Posts: 1,586 Forumite
    Options
    I suppose you could try citing mitigating circumstances and apply anyway ... wouldn't do any harm xx
    JUST DO IT ONE BRICK AT A TIME
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
    Weekly Budget: groceries£50/petrol£50/Unnecesary£15
    DEBT PAID = 58% (£4,212/£8216):T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts