Repossession?

Options
I am in arrears with my mortgage due to the sudden death of my long term partner last year. (Our life cover sadly expired without us realising.) I have written to them and phoned them several times to say I can no longer afford the monthly repayment of £500+ and have asked if they can switch me to interest only. They will not budge and keep sending me the same arrears letter every month with £30 charge. In the meantime for the past three months I have sent them £300 per month as a rough estimate of the interest only portion. I would like to know if anyone here works for a building society or similar and knows roughly how long it will take them to decide to start repossession proceedings. They have not mentioned this yet but I am sure it is only a matter of time. I am not able to apply to another lender because I am off sick and about to lose my job.

Comments

• susieh_2
    Options
    Hi,

I'm really sorry about your loss & I can't really answer any of your questions, but bumping it back to the top for you. Someone is sure to have some answers for you. Just a thought, have you tried posting this on the mortgage forum, there are usually mortgage brokers and financial advisors on there who could offer advice etc.

Best of luck

Susieh
  • hopeless_case_2
    Options
    hi did you never go to the docs?I remember you from before.please try to get back to work if you can. Ring cab on monday they will give advice.Xgl.
    Make £11,000 in 2011 / ebay £600
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I am not qualified to advise you but phone National Debtline or the Consumer Credit Counselling Service or Payplan for some free advice as soon as you can.

I'm sorry you find yourself in such an awful situation, but you have come to the right place for advise and moral support.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • homeworkgirl
    Options
    Hi, thanks for your helpful posts. I have reposted on the mortgage board, thanks for that Susie.

Yes I have been to my GP but unfortunately things are not going very well for me healthwise at the moment and I am signed off indefinitely.

I have already been to CAB who have a long waiting list for appointments so went to CCCS instead. They were helpful but cannot answer my question about the mortgage.
  • BAILIFFCHASER
    Options
    If they go for a repossession then they will not get it if you are paying. you can ask the judge to suspend the posession order on terms which you and the mortgage company agree to and you must stick to it. As long qas the judge knows you are paying and what problems you are facing you shouldnt have a problem.
    ONLY COPY WHAT I AM DOING IF YOU ARE 100% SURE AND YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THE END RESULT MAY BE. ALWAYS CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL BEFORE FOLLOWING MY ADVICE. I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED . IF WHAT I AM DOING HELPS YOU IN ANY WAY CLICK THE THANKS BUTTON
  • homeworkgirl
    Options
    If they go for a repossession then they will not get it if you are paying. you can ask the judge to suspend the posession order on terms which you and the mortgage company agree to and you must stick to it. As long qas the judge knows you are paying and what problems you are facing you shouldnt have a problem.

No offence meant Bailiffchaser, but how sure can you be of that? Is it up to the personal discretion of the judge on the day? I know nothing about these things but I take it you have had experience regarding these things? What does suspending the possession order mean and what sort of terms would be likely to be agreed? Thank you.
  • bathgatebuyer
    Options
    How long is left on the mortgage?
    Almost debt-free, but certainly even with the Banks!
  • BAILIFFCHASER
    Options
    No offence meant Bailiffchaser, but how sure can you be of that? Is it up to the personal discretion of the judge on the day? I know nothing about these things but I take it you have had experience regarding these things? What does suspending the possession order mean and what sort of terms would be likely to be agreed? Thank you.

The mortgage company will get a order which will then be suspended on terms like £350 per month for 2 years after which it will it will be hoped that the order is discharged as . However if you break the payment then it is not a automatic repo. The lender has to take you to court again. As long as you can show genuine reasons for late or non payment there will be no repo.
    ONLY COPY WHAT I AM DOING IF YOU ARE 100% SURE AND YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THE END RESULT MAY BE. ALWAYS CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL BEFORE FOLLOWING MY ADVICE. I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED . IF WHAT I AM DOING HELPS YOU IN ANY WAY CLICK THE THANKS BUTTON
  • TangledMemories_2
    Options
    BAILIFFCHASER: Sorry for hi-jacking this thread...but we went to court in April last year after my Dad did a disappearing act leaving my mum with a £700 a month mortgage, 2 kids and 2 dogs.
    The judge said for mum to pay £100 towards the arrears because I guaranteed that me and my OH would be paying £500 a month.
    Now, because my mum is having issues with unemployment, the mortgage company has sent a letter saying they've applied for a warrant.
    Does this mean we have to appear in court again or do we wait for the eviction notice?

The main reason we fell behind again was because mum's standing order was set for the 16th of the month however the mortgage company have been applying for it on the 4th.

:S

homeworkgirl - I'm sorry your health is suffering after everything you've gone through. But the stress of this wont be helping you. *Huge hugs* and good luck
    xx
    ;)I am not a complete idiot - some parts are missing;)

• mummytofour
    mummytofour Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    Options
    home work girl are you getting ANY help with the mortgage costs? I mean what benefits are you getting? Do you have kids?
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure