New Post Advanced Search

Deep South USA -tips & moneysaving?

44 replies 7.9K views
lynzpowerlynzpower Forumite
25.3K posts
10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭✭
Hiya

After being inspired by Murphys Arizona thread OH has decided that he wants to go on a tour of the deep south ( self drive independent ) for about 14 days ( might be able to squeeze it to 17 depending on weekends) :j

We will need flights and car hire, but will sort out accom on the rd ourselves. :beer:

Has anyone driven the deep south in August? :cool:

Where is the cheapest place to fly into? I thought Atlanta, but the BA & AA % Delta are all showing me well over 1k per adult inc taxes... surely this isnt right? Memphis doesnt seem cheaper?

We aim to be at Gracelands for Elvis week, do dollywood and as much Music country as we can cram in to the short space of time we have, as well as some outdoorsing, driving, museums, studios, tours and so on! :T

So, has anyone been? any hints/ tips? Sopecific driving advice? What about driving in August in this region? Chances of blowouts?

All advice and tips welcome!
:beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
This Ive come to know...
So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:

Replies

• Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    14.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flights: you will just have to search all destinations on-line, and see what comes up. Remember that Washington (Dulles and Baltimore) is virtually in the Old South. At the other extreme, so is Florida, so you might get a cheap charter there and just drive north. Remember that Miami to the state line is an eight-hour drive. And Texas is also part of the South: although if you want to see anywhere else make sure you fly into the eastern side of this massive state.

Be prepared for intense heat. Your car will probably have air conditioning, but that will push up the price, and make a big difference to your fuel consumption.

Places that I really enjoyed include both Savannah and Charleston (they are similar, so tourists are generally advised to see just one of them, but I loved them both), and also Asheville in North Carolina. See if you can arrange bed and breakfast in a private home, since this gives you a connection with the local community.

I do hope you know that Arizona is a long way west of the Old South.
  • August is usually a dear time to go, though it does get cheaper typically in the last 10 days. BA/Delta sales have had the Atlanta route for ~£260 between now and April, which is a cheaper time of year, similar sales may reduce the cost later in the year (though summer hols are usually dear).

The cheapest BA flight direct in the summer seem to be £572 earlier in the month and £472 later in the month (typically that is the mid week price).

Also don't forget if you fly AA you can get 15% discount on the flight price (excluding taxes)....

That said there are sometimes better deals to be had - a recent expedia glitch had summer flights BA to some locations at under £300 (I got boston for £259).
  • cazziebocazziebo Forumite
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    August?! It will be roasting! I did it in April and it was very warm then.

Savannah is a beautiful place to visit and there are some really nice beaches close by - try Tybee. Atlanta itself is quite interesting. Was talked into going to the coca cola museum and it was really interesting. Atlanta zoo is fab. South Carolina is gorgeous -like going back in time. Tennessee is like Austria/Switzerland - really loved it.

Driving is so easy - long straight roads, nice, clean cheap motels and lots of places to stop and eat. We never planned our stops, and never once had a bad experience. :mad: (Bit foolhardy maybe - my sister, me and four kids under four!)

i would have thought flights to Atlanta would have been cheaper than that but flying into a Florida airport isn't such a bad idea and more chance of a deal.

Enjoy - I'm so envious!
  • lynzpowerlynzpower Forumite
    25.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am really not too sure at the moment where we are headed still in very early days.

The only reason we are going at that time is cos its OHs 30th birthday and he gets to choose where we go nad his lordship has chosen :beer:

I thinik we decided against arizona and cali as it would be ridiculously hot and lots of long drives.

I think Texas is a holiday in itself and we will probably avoid the whole state.

Some of the ideas we had last night are....

*New Orleans
    *Drive through Baton Rouge, and up the missisipi river, possibly through the Natchez parkway, not really sure...
    *Memphis - we are hoping to be there for Elvis week, we are quite up against it at the mo as we will have to book some accom for this, like NOW!
    *nashville
    *possibly into Kentucky, distilleries, backwater driving, - and across to the mammoth cave NP
    *down through the Smokies to Dollywood
    *Atlanta & surrounds

Now whether this is possible/feasible we just dont know right now, I think we are coming round to thinking that if we want to cram in as much as we can of this witohut total fatigue in the heat, open jaw tickets will be a must.

We had considered the florida aspect ( weve found some super cheap Fly drives) but will lose 2 days min driving across FLA and im not sure moneysaving is worth it :D

Did any of you use a guide book? Weve been to the library and looked on line and cant find anything specific to the south apart from one LP on smoky mountains. We have in our posession a shoestring LP to usa & canada, Rough guide USA, and LP USa normal ( not shoestring) but they all only have 3 pages on the whole of kentucky ?? :confused: Anyone any suggestions?

We probably will buy the roadside america books, as Im obsessed with the website :)
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    This Ive come to know...
  • blindmanblindman Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    You do realise that 1June -November is Hurricane season for that area?

We did a tour around Baton Rouge and New Orleans a couple of years back, though over the Halloween-November period.

Drove to Memphis for an overnighter- it's about 4 hours +

IMHO your latest Itinerary is TOO much!

I would seriously NOT go in August, because of the heat\humidity and hurricanes. :eek:

Have you considered the Canadian Rockies? again busy (expensive) in August (where isn't in N america) but less humid.

Lonely Planet Deep South book
    25.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well we wouldnt be looking at the rockies as its the music history that appeals to us.

I hadnt realised at all about the hurricanes.Having read the wiki link ( thanks for that) I cant see where on our travels the actual hurricanes could affect us. I am familiar with hurricanes as I have been to Yucatan, Belize, and they have all been affected, but they were affected obvilusy coastally. the only suggestion of anywhere slightly coastal would be New Orleans, if its not safe enough to be there then we could scrap that bit of the itinary I suppose :confused:
    (I knew it was going to be super hot tho, and I think we can handle that as long as we have decent air con and not too ambitious driving plans.)
    This Ive come to know...
  • simonSE15simonSE15 Forumite
    725 posts
    ✭✭
    We did this August last year. we flew into Houston but we had 4 weeks so had time to drive from Texas. We were in Memphis for Elvis week and stayed across the river at Best Western in Arkansas I think it was (cheaper). The Stax museum is worth seeing, so Id recommend that. Nasville is nicer though. Id recommend the Bluebird Cafe and Laylas Bluegrass Inn. If you can get to Breaux Bridge in Louisiana on a saturday morning they have a Zydeco breakast which is not to be missed at http://www.cafedesamis.com/. If you go to the New Orleans Bourbon Street is rubbish but Frenchman Street is good for music.

We did a blog if you're interested: http://peckhamvoodoochild.blogspot.com/

It's amazing, have fun.
  • We've travelled that area many times. We used to live in Georgia.
    For August my best tip is get a car with A/C and always try and park under a tree - difficult to find in Wallyworlds car park, but not impossible.
    You'll understand in August why the americans love the 'drive thru's' when you can stay in your air conditioned car. When you get out of your vehicle you'll be walking into a hot oppressive blanket.

I don't want to put you off. The music scene is great. But if you want great weather you should be up around the states of Oregon, Washington, Utah or Washington .

Don't worry about tyre ' blow outs'. Your more likely to get 'blown out' by eating a Shoneys buffet breakfast.

Hope you have a great holiday.
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old, You grow old because you stop laughing
    " Large print giveth - small print taketh away. "
    25.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for both of these!! Brilliant!

Happy saver, its great to have real first hand advice from someone who used to live there:beer:

Can you tell me than what the impact of hurricanes might be on our trip? WOuld you say N. Orleans has to be scrapped as we'll be washed away??

Off to read your blog now simon - thanks for sharing :D
    This Ive come to know...
  • cazziebocazziebo Forumite
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry about tyre ' blow outs'. Your more likely to get 'blown out' by eating a Shoneys buffet breakfast.

Hope you have a great holiday.

Shoney's breakfasts - fantastic!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support