BT Yahoo Problems

Options
James240
James240 Posts: 16,387 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
Hi guys

Were do i start ?? Well i got home on Friday using the internet (BT Broadband) and it was absolutley fine, didnt have aproblem. Got up on Saturday morning tried using the internet, it said it connected (the two little Monitors in the taskbar come up) i clicked on internet explorer and then got the white page saying the internet page could not be displayed :mad:

I thought it may be a connection problem and tried all connections and restarted the computer, i turned off Norton Firewall and Anti virus. But still had the same problem it shows that its connected but wont display the web pages. I have noticed that when the two little monitors in the taskbar flicker showing there sharing information but only one is flickering the other is not i.e. my computer is sending information but not getting anything back.

I noticed that the DSL light on my Bt Voyager Router was flashing wereby it normally remains solid. I spoke to BT and they checked the line for me and they said that everything had comeback fine onthe line. I told them about the flashing DSL light on the Router and they agreed that it should remain solid. They said that if it was flashing it was not getting a signal from there exchange/servers.

They are going to be sending me out a new Router, but has anybody had this problem before?? When we first got broadband, when ever we were on it and we needed to use the phone there was a slight buzzing noise on the phone line this has now ceased when the broadband stopped working, (but it said it was connected with the two little monitors!?!?!?!?!) could it be the router?? or is it possible for the line to revert back to Analogue from being turned Digital was another thought of mine.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated as i have learnt alot from the people that have helped me before. If you need anymore info please let me know and i willpost it back up on here as quickly as poss

Cheers guys

James
Savings Total so far for 2023: £8,062.58

Comments

• Cat72
    Cat72 Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    Options
    I have had this router for about a year and my brother has the same one.Have had no particular probs with router EXCEPT BT had problems with the broadband conection in my area for a day or two and it knocked all my settings of the router. Leaving me with no connection for a week and having to deal with the dumbos at bt yahoo. Never forgave them for it and looking elsewhere. My brother had the crackling in phone line but it was just that the filters needed adjusting as he had so many phones.
    To me the router is ok but its always been BT Yahoo who have a bad service.
  • James240
    Options
    Must admit of the 3 people i spoke to i had more knowledge about computers then they did, which is frustrating especially when they are the helpdesk. Apparently an engineer is going to call in the next three days as well...............i wont hold my breath..............didnt check this morning but just before i went to bed i checked and it still wasnt working . If u had the settings knocked off the router cat72 do u feel a new router may solve my problems? ive tried resetting the modem but that hasnt worked either.............bit of a loss what to do next really apart from waiting for the ccall from The "engineer". :rolleyes:

james
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    May I suggest that you make a written complaint about lack of service and the inability of the help line staff to help you. I just had 3 months free service due to a similar problem compounded by lying help desk staff and the basic bad manners of the supervisors who said they would sort it and didn't.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • danmanchester
    danmanchester Posts: 1,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just a thought...is your BT broadband capped?
  • drlight_2
    drlight_2 Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    You could re-install your modem with your registration cd, this will look like your registering a new account but it's all happing localy when you get to the bt page you will just be logging into your existing account, this will restore your router from being changed by a bt blooper.
    The noise when your using braodband is strange because broadband using a frequence that we can't hear, so hearing something sounds like the filter isn't working properly. If you have another filter I would test this.
  • elvis_bloggs
    elvis_bloggs Posts: 8,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds to me like ordinary computer settings, click on tools on your browser then internet connections then click on the connections tab and check your settings.
  • James240
    Options
    Already changed the Microfilters but, that made no difference to the noise anyway though...........we sort of just turned the broadband off whenwe need to use the phone. Had a look at the internet settings and nothings changed its been really weird as it worked Friday night, but then refused to work on Saturday morning.

Its baffled me completly thats why i thought it may be a faulty Router as the noise on the line has gone and the internet has packed up. Slightly frustrating as im having to use works computer to get on this site :doh: now and i love checking on this website pretty frequently for all matter of tips and money saving ideas.

Yeah my Broadbands capped but there is no way that ive hit the 15gb allowance although do any of u know if there is a phone number i can call of website i can go on just to check though, just to beon the safe side. But i feel i definatley havent hit the limit :think: .................

Thanks for the help so far guys

James
  • Kubrick_2
    Kubrick_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Just out of intrest why do you turn the broadband off when you need to use the phone? One advantage of broadband is the fact that you can ring people up whilst browsing the internet.
  • alison74
    alison74 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Options
    Cant help you any further, but I do like your avatar !!!

SNAP
  • James240
    Options
    Thanks Alison LOL love ur avatar as well!! lol

I turn the modem off as we have a weird hissing noise when ur using the phone, just found it easier to turn the modem off then to try and talk to BT's staff who really do no nothing about computers lol.

By the way guys the internet has now misteriously started working again, plus the hissing noise is back when ur using the internet when ur on the phone!! Im so baffled by this problem its unbleivable!!, oh well BT are now sending me a new router so when that come ill swap that over and see if the hissing noise goes on the phone.

Although i am very pelased that the internet is working again as it felt like i had an arm cut off with out it lol but it has given me time to go through 400 pages on the new Harry Potter novel LOl :T

cheers guys

James
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills