Car insurance cancellation fees Robbery!

Options
15678911»

Comments

• SteveManc
    Options
    GoSkippy are charging me over £100 cancellation fee.
    Thats nearly three months insurance installments.
    If you try calling them on a mobile phone its 0844 number
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Ask them to itemise the charge and if anything is amiss dispute it and escalate to a formal complaint if you are unhappy with their reply. You can then escalate to the fos if unhappy with the reply to the formal complaint.

If you want to take out a policy elsewhere then skippy may not issue you a proof of ncd till you have paid them.

If that is the case and the dispute is not resolved you may need to pay " under protest" pending the outcome of the dispute.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    SteveManc wrote: »
    GoSkippy are charging me over £100 cancellation fee.
    Thats nearly three months insurance installments.
    If you try calling them on a mobile phone its 0844 number

Are you sure that is the admin charge for cancellation and not the admin charge plus outstanding premium?

Ask them to break it down. The admin charge for cancellation is normally around £25-£75.

This is what they say on their website:
    (ii) When cancellation rights do not exist
    Standard insurance policies are arranged for a period of 12 months and you are required to pay the full amount stated. If the insurance is cancelled before the expiry date, other than in accordance with (i) above on receipt of your Certificate of Motor Insurance, you will be refunded on a pro rata basis for the period of insurance still remaining, subject to you not having made a claim, or a claim having been made against you during the period of cover less a £75 cancellation fee. We do not refund any initial charges as this was earned for arranging the policy and where the insurer’s premium has been discounted by GoSkippy Car Insurance, you will be advised of this in the cover confirmation letter. If the policy is subsequently cancelled before its normal expiry date, GoSkippy Car Insurance retains the right to deduct the value of the discount from any monies returned to you by the insurer. The cost of add-on products that you purchase will be non-refundable (other than in accordance with (i)).
    If there are any unpaid monies when the policy is cancelled, we may withhold documents such as No Claims Discount to which you are entitled, until full payment is made. If you paid the premium by instalments the credit charges made by the premium finance provider will not be refunded.
    We will not be able to process any possible refunds due on cancellation until we receive your Certificate of Motor Insurance from you
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • NickMilliner
    Options
    Hi people. Wondered if anyone can help.

I took out a policy that I didn't need because I was still insured for another month with my current insurer. I cancelled it and they have charged me £100.56 cancellation fee. They said on the phone that it is £50-something for them and whatever for the insurance company. They said if I provide proof that I was covered elsewhere I MIGHT get some money back.

I know it was a mistake on my part, but I feel I've done more work than them, and to lose £100+ for being overly cautious seems a bit steep to me. Do I have a leg to stand on, can I kick up a fuss? Or is this one of those life-lessons I have to suck up.

(additional info, I started the policy on the phone, but did not supply them with my no claims proof or license details they requested. This might mean that I never even confirmed the policy?.. I don't earn much so I want my money back!!)
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 10 April 2015 at 7:50PM
    Options
    Your point over the NCD is a non starter - if you push it you could end up with a bigger premium owing. (Any NCD you claimed you had was being used on your other policy, so you actually had NIL NCD to use on this policy, but seemingly told them otherwise - and will have agreed the info you gave was correct).

All you can do is take them up on their offer to see what they can do if you prove you already had cover elsewhere and duplicated the cover in error.

But they have been put to costs setting up the policy so could insist on the cancellation charges set out in the agreements you have entered into.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure