PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Help! Which liver is the best?

Options
12346»

Comments

• meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    my OH loves pigs liver - soak it in milk for a couple of hours and it not only tenderises it and removes impurities - it makes it taste milder.
    OH loves liver with fried onions and mash and the gravy made with the juices from the liver and onions with a bovril cube added.
    me - I really like chicken livers (one of the reasons I do a top up shop in Tresco - their pots of chicken livers are only around 50p and there is enough for two people). with that I tend to do a sherry or wine sauce and serve with anything I darn well fancy! even salad goes with it!
    dont be tempted to cook it for ages - its cooked when you stick a knife in it and it doesnt run red! only a couple of minutes each side! dust the peices in flour and making the gravy is a doddle! just add stock or wine!
  • Corpsebride86
    Options
    I love pigs liver, especially The day after a heavy night out lol lightly fried on sandwiches with pepper and tabasco nom nom :)

Its also wonderful done in the slowcooker
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 January 2012 at 1:03PM
    Options
    Firstly, the tubes in livers and kidneys are much easier to remove with scissors than even the sharpest of knives. I agree that lambs and pigs liver are milder in flavour and only require quick cooking. However, think twice before putting that price reduced bargain pack of ox liver back on the shelf. It really needs to be soaked in milk, as Spike says (don't throw it away, add some flour and make a sauce) and slowly cooked, but it's well worth the effort, financially and gastronomically.

PS. Liver is unsuitable for pregnant women, or even women who are trying to conceive. It contains high levels of retinol, a type of Vitamin A, and the body can store this.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I like lambs liver, though the rest of the family don't like it so I only buy it on the rare ocassions it's just me to cook for. I cut it into long thin strips (taking out the tubey bits), dust it in cornflour and stir fry it with shredded onions...onions in first, fry till browning at the edges, then in with the liver strips for a couple of minutes until they're just catching at the edges too, usually a couple of minutes tops in hot oil.

Good with buttery mashed potato and some savoy cabbage, or even sprouts!
    Val.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    valk_scot wrote: »
    I like lambs liver, though the rest of the family don't like it so I only buy it on the rare ocassions it's just me to cook for. I cut it into long thin strips (taking out the tubey bits), dust it in cornflour and stir fry it with shredded onions...onions in first, fry till browning at the edges, then in with the liver strips for a couple of minutes until they're just catching at the edges too, usually a couple of minutes tops in hot oil.

Good with buttery mashed potato and some savoy cabbage, or even sprouts!

I serve mine with Champ (Mash with scallions & oodles of butter,like how Mom made it) fried onions & mushrooms & stout gravy. (Use half guiness to water)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't find find lambs liver is strong at all. I pour boiling water over it in a basin, leave for a few minutes then fish out and pan fry with the (already softened) onions. It's virtually cooked by the water but the frying just browns it off nicely.

AlwaysHappy, I find it one of the tastiest and economical meals we have all week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport