PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help! Which liver is the best?

Options
Hi,

I know this is not really moneysaving but I know that someone on here will be able to tell me!

I want to know which liver (pigs or lambs) is the best. I know when we were children Dad always said one was best and thats the one we had!

He's not here now and I have just started a new job in a care home cooking , I am looking at the menus and trying to think what he would of liked to eat, carn't for the life of me think which he would of said as haven't eaten it for years!

Thought i would try liver and onions or maybe liver and bacon as maybe the residents would remember eating it and perhaps like it?

Would be grateful for any advise.

Comments

• grannybroon
    grannybroon Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Congratulations on your new job!

I personally prefer lamb's liver because I think pig's liver a bit stronger. However, if I ever see pig's liver yellow stickered I still buy it!

GB x
  • LittleTinker
    LittleTinker Posts: 2,841 Forumite
    Options
    Hi........Definitely Lambs liver is the best. Pigs liver is very strong in flavour and much tougher too!
  • Afitos
    Afitos Posts: 503 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply's !

And thanks, I do love my job at the moment! It is really rewarding, thinking that I am making tasty food.

Most of the residents have dementia(as did my Dad) and I really want to make sure thay have nice food. Sounds a bit full on I know but I mean it!

Is lambs liver better cooked quickly or slowly? I think it was Lambs that we used to have fried and then gravy made in the same pan? (does that sound right?)
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I always have pig liver... it's what I'm used to, as it's what my mother always bought. I stir fry it, so that it's only just cooked. Overcooked liver is sooooo nasty!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • growingafamily
    Options
    another vote for pigs liver here - is it me or does liver and onions make the best ever gravy mmmmmmmmmmmm
  • madmum33
    madmum33 Posts: 635 Forumite
    Options
    I don't like liver but I think you're wonderful to care enough to think about the residents! My MIL spent the last few years of her life in a nursing home with dementia and we'd have loved to know she was looked after and fed so thoughtfully. :A
  • morwenna
    morwenna Posts: 844 Forumite
    Options
    My dad always preferred pigs liver, however mum always did lambs! (Go figure! :rotfl: ) I actually think Dad's tastebuds weren't as keen as they used to be myself.. Still, dab in seasoned flour, fry each side to seal and add plenty of onions, and in ours house anyway, gravy made from water and bisto to thicken. Serve with mashed potatoes and carrots and swede also mashed. Yum!
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its another vote for lambs liver here.. pigs liver is just too strongly flavoured for me...
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • grannybroon
    grannybroon Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a recipe for Italian Liver (you soak the liver in milk and then use milk for sauce) if anyone interested (and if I can find it!!!!!!!).

GB xxxx
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a recipe for Italian Liver (you soak the liver in milk and then use milk for sauce) if anyone interested (and if I can find it!!!!!!!).

GB xxxx

The liver we tend to eat there - or at least in my part of Italy - is ox liver, and that is the only one I personally ever eat, but only if I find in organic meat shops. Sometimes other kinds of liver are eaten, ie chicken etc. but not as often as they are over here. :)
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure