Forum Home» Energy

Average Electricity Costs Poll - Page 26

New Post Advanced Search

Average Electricity Costs Poll

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Energy
417 replies 327.8K views

Replies

• kevingib

you could do with posting how many kWh you are actually using as price can vary considerably.
  • this is poll is 5 years old, why is it still a sticky ??

• since moving into our 3 bed semi house 12 years ago in the north east of scotland, (the house was 2yrs old when we bought it)- we have always thought our electric bills to be high.
    there is just my hubby and i living in the house.
    we have storage heating to heat the house and the water, and electricity for all appliances.
    we have 2 baths a day (not full baths-usually half full at the most)
    the washing machine is usually on 1-2 times day (at 30 degrees)
    we have 8 storage heaters- none are used upstairs, and only 2 are on downstairs (usually at 4- goes up to 8)-
    i always think the house is cold, but cant afford to put all the heaters on!
    our quarterly bill from sept-dec 2009 was £186.78 (and we didnt put the heating on until the 1st dec!)
    we both work 12hr shifts, so are not at home for long periods of the day, none of the appliances are on stand by (its really the heating that i have the issues with!)
    our latest bill for 5th dec-17th march is £316.76 plus 15.44 vat= 332.20.(2470 heating units used @6.04p each = 149.19, and 999 units of standard electricity-13.57p each,=135.56 and a standing charge of 31.08p day=32.01
    2 years ago we queried our bills, and asked if our meter could be faulty? we were assured that they dont go faulty!!.........well this one did- charging 600% more than we should have been charged!!!!
    it was replaced, and a new one installed.
    we have asked other residents in our street who have the same heating, what their consumption is, and their houses all seem boiling hot compared to ours, they all seem to find the storage heaters very economical!- i find them horrendously expensive!!
    is there a better tarrif we should be on? (i noticed on scottish hydro page the most expensive standing charge is 18p day- we are 31p day?)
    anyone elsa use storage heaters and find them expensive?
    any advice would be greatly appreciated- i dont mind paying to have a warm house, but grudge paying to have a cold one!!
  • zag2mezag2me Forumite
    695 posts
    this is poll is 5 years old, why is it still a sticky ??

I was thinking the same!

Electricity prices have doubled since then making the poll useless.
    Save save save!!
  • dbmabzdbmabz Forumite
    40 posts
    Our last electricity bill for the quarter ending in Jan 2010 was 1530 units and £180 for a 4 bedroom detached house in NE Scotland. Higher than I think it should be, but then we do have two teenage kids who insist on using all their gadgets all the time thay are at home!

Have recently used EnergyAverage.co.uk to compare our gas and electricity bills with other homes of the same type. Site looks to be new as it is still labeled as Beta but could be a useful site for the future.
  • Indiana13Indiana13 Forumite
    1 posts
    Hello, I am hoping someone can help re unsually high monthly electricity costs.

I live in a modern 2 bedroom appartment - I am only on electricity with underfloor heating which has been on the lowest setting.

For some time a number of residents in the block (including myself) have been complaining to EDF of high monthly usage significantly above average with some monthly bills approx £90.

I had my Economy 7 meter switched back from a radio wave timer to the old fashioned mechanical timer - this process switches over the night time charges and the site engineer informed me that it is a known malfunction with Crystal Palace not picking up the radio wave signal.

Although my monthly bills have come down they are still very much above average coming in at approx £65 - quarter usage came in from Feb - May at daily units 452 and night units at 2279. I am not a heavy user. Is there anything else I can do - I have done all of the obvious things such as switching off standby, low energy bulbs etc. :mad:
  • minicooper272minicooper272 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aagh! This would help so much more if it was like a cost per person in the household!!!! (no offence to the creator) Is there a good way to set up a new poll for amount per person in house? £30 may be pricey but it's not so bad if there are 4 people in the house...
  • Premier_2Premier_2 Forumite
    15.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aagh! This would help so much more if it was like a cost per person in the household!!!! (no offence to the creator) Is there a good way to set up a new poll for amount per person in house? £30 may be pricey but it's not so bad if there are 4 people in the house...

As this thread was originally created about 5 years ago, and presumably people were voting back then when energy costs were significantly less, the value of this poll today is somewhat limited anyway, imho.

You could create your own thread/poll if you want - it's quite easy.
    (the added option to make a poll is given when you start a new thread)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • SwipeSwipe Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Annual electricity cost = £250 (2500units) for an all electric 3 bed detached bungalow with two 3.5KW Daikin air source heat pumps. + £90 on 6 bags of smokeless coal + free wood for my stove. I used to pay over £300 per winter quarter in my last place with storage heaters.
  • mum2bmum2b Forumite
    77 posts
    Hi guys, we moved into our current property Dec 2009 and managed to rack up £1200 bill with our electic company between then and March - we do not have any gas/oil heating so everything is electric.
    Is this as unreasonable as I think it is? .
    I'm not sure we are on a great tariff but can't move utility co's until the debt is paid off - we are getting there paying £209 per month :mad:
    xx
    Sep GC £235.51/£225.00
    Oct GC £240.44/£225.00
    Nov GC £170.76/£235.62
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support