Forum Home» Energy

Average Electricity Costs Poll - Page 22

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Average Electricity Costs Poll

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Energy
417 replies 327.7K views

Replies

• The best way to save money on energy costs is to consume less. Insulation, and turning down thermostats, will make more difference than switching tarriffs or providers. After all, the energy suppliers all buy their energy from the same wholesale markets and have similar overheads.
  • edited 5 August 2009 at 1:12PM
    Alias_OmegaAlias_Omega Forumite
    7.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 August 2009 at 1:12PM
    Aug 2008 to Aug 2009 Consumptions were -

Gas - 11,408 Kw/h (1004 Cu M)
    Elec - 7068 Kw/h

Currently on Click Energy 5 which isnt the cheapest that BG offer, web saver 3 is the cheapest with a £30 penalty for each fuel before dec 09. Ran a few quotes based on the above, and it appears that they are the cheapest in my area for Elec, and the 3rd cheapest for Gas. Atlantic Electric & Gas are the cheapest, but ive never heard of them. Prob not worth the hassle for £40 & review at christmas.
  • i have been going through £25 a week just now even though im not using that, im going through double what everyone is in my building is, £4040 just over the last 2 and a half years, been screaming and shouting they r only going to give me £237 compensation just now so i got some experts in to deal with my case :mad:
  • dave4545454dave4545454 Forumite
    2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    my last quarterly bill was £28 but that's for electricity and gas
    Martin has asked me to tell you I'm about to cut the cheese, pull my finger.
  • Good work dave!

£26.46 for the last quarter. I didn't use any gas.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • KylieKylie Forumite
    562 posts
    Electricity only. TINY one bedroom "house". No dryer. 1 laptop, 1 pc. 1 TV.

2 adults. Only home nights & weekends and try not to turn the heating on much :(

1 storage heater downstairs and one tiny heater in bedroom (rarely used).

2006: £815
    2007: £910
    2008: £1010
    2009: already £750 - not yet done winter...

Prepayment meter...
  • Kylie

What time is cheap rate for electricity? What time are the storage heaters / water set to come on?

I know it's from the department of the bleeding obvious but some people over look these things but that looks high for a tiny one bedroom house.
  • KylieKylie Forumite
    562 posts
    We have not yet turned the storage heater on, but when it is, my fiance manages that because I don't understand them. He assures me he keeps it running efficiently as possible.

The water - we only get about 10 mins. worth of hot water at a time. It's down to a normal temp. I don't know about the timings though. I will set him on it tonight.

When I called EDF they told me it was a normal cost that I pay, but looking at everyone else, I think she was fibbing...
  • KylieKylie Forumite
    562 posts
    Work people here tell me £85 for electricity (no gas) is normal for 1 bed.

Now I'm confused.
  • Kylie wrote: »
    When I called EDF they told me it was a normal cost that I pay, but looking at everyone else, I think she was fibbing...

Have you used a price comparison site like

http://www.energyhelpline.com/

One years actual consumption in kWh gives a more accurate list of tariffs.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support