Parking in front of driveways

Options

Comments

• MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JohnG wrote: »
    Just looking to see if anyone has an issue with people who complain about parking on the road outside of their house (not blocking their drive) and what responses may or may not of been made?

One of my regular customer's elderly neighbours complains vehemently about anyone who parks outside his house, always claiming he is expecting freinds to call or has a taxi coming etc etc. I have to park up the road on occasions simply to keep the peace.
    He even complains to his neighbours if they dare to leave their car outside, even if they just want to unload shopping etc!

Certainly not very neighbourly and since when have residents been able to stake a claim for parking on a public road where there are absolutely no parking restrictions?

Clearly the chap has a problem and a very large chip on his shoulder (He/they have complained about many other things in the past too).

Personally I would like to give him an ear full but obviously, in the interest of keeping the peace, I have to bite my tongue.

I guess it just takes all sorts..... :rolleyes:

I would tell them my road tax disc allows me to park on any public road that doesn't have parking restrictions.

Blocking drives is one thing, thinking you own the road is another.
  • rca779
    rca779 Posts: 436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have this problem where cars and sometimes Vans park outside my house on the grass verge and I must admit I am not very happy about it. Firstly when I look out of my lounge window, I do not want to be staring a the side of a great big white van. Secondly and far more importantly, these cars & vans often park half on the verge and half on the road. This then completely blocks my view of the road when trying to pull out of my drive. I often find that I am almost half way across the road before I can see if any cars are coming. Now my road is supposed to be 30mh, but this seems to be totally ignored and certainly not enforced by the local police or council. So, on more than one occasion I have come very close to a nasty accident where I am trying to get out of my drive, gradually edging out inch by inch when whoosh some &*%^& Mum in her great big 4x4 charges past, nearly taking the front of my car off. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that just up the road from me there are about 10 small terraced house that only have room for one car to park out the front, but naturally the home owners all have 2 cars and therefore they are looking to park as close to home as possible. While I do have some sympathy for them, they knew the situation when they bought there houses and I DON'T want them parking outside my house. I think I will have to mark out the grass verge, put grass seed down and a keep off sign!
  • onamission_2
    Options
    how about a smear of cooking oil on the windscreen- most effective trick i've seen yet.
    total debt at lightbulb 18th April 2007:idea: £42367.60:eek: DFW Nerd No 725. DFW longhauler no 8.:rolleyes: Official DMP mutal support club member no 62.
  • JohnG
    JohnG Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rca779,

I admit 've got a White Van but even so I do understand what you are saying. I think it's a question of whether the driver is socially responsible in how or where he parks, although there are occasions, in my experience, when is sometimes no choice.
    I certainly don't like parking on grass verges, especially in a residential areas as it can look a right mess afterwards.
    Also, roads round my neck of the woods are simply not made for the volume of vehicles that we collectively now have - it's truly becoming a major issue that can have some major social consequences.

Incidently I normally park my van on my drive, we are fortunate to be able to fit two vehicles on it. We have one neighbour who has got an even bigger drive and have two, and sometimes three, cars rather than make an effort they often park on the roadside opposite another drive which aggravates those owners somewhat.
  • D_e_n_i_s_e
    Options
    people who park like this obviously do so INTENTIONALLY and deliberately to irritate and annoy - my local council have got zero-tolerence policy, if your drive is obstructed you can take a photo of the obstructed vehicle accross your drive and call them if they can get there in time the parking enforcer will apply a ticket, else they get one in the post.

an expensive lesson - learnt!
  • rca779
    Options
    My problem is that they don't actually park across the dropped kerb, but either size of it, half on the road, half on the verge. So although I can get out of my drive, i cannot see up or down the road for oncoming vehicles.

I sent my local council an email yesterday to see if there is anything they can do to stop this.

I am not trying to be a NIMBY, I am genuinely concerned that there is going to be a nasty accident one of these days. My wife drives our 2 boys to school a couple of days a week (they walk on the other days!) and I am just so worried that she is going to have an accident just trying to get out of our drive!
  • MrsE_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rca779 wrote: »
    I have this problem where cars and sometimes Vans park outside my house on the grass verge and I must admit I am not very happy about it. Firstly when I look out of my lounge window, I do not want to be staring a the side of a great big white van. Secondly and far more importantly, these cars & vans often park half on the verge and half on the road. This then completely blocks my view of the road when trying to pull out of my drive. I often find that I am almost half way across the road before I can see if any cars are coming. Now my road is supposed to be 30mh, but this seems to be totally ignored and certainly not enforced by the local police or council. So, on more than one occasion I have come very close to a nasty accident where I am trying to get out of my drive, gradually edging out inch by inch when whoosh some &*%^& Mum in her great big 4x4 charges past, nearly taking the front of my car off. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that just up the road from me there are about 10 small terraced house that only have room for one car to park out the front, but naturally the home owners all have 2 cars and therefore they are looking to park as close to home as possible. While I do have some sympathy for them, they knew the situation when they bought there houses and I DON'T want them parking outside my house. I think I will have to mark out the grass verge, put grass seed down and a keep off sign!

You post about large vans & them slate 4x4's.
    You can complain about cars illegally parked on your road, but you do not own the public highway, if they are parked legally then you need to live with it. You have a drive anyway.
  • MrsE_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My problem is that they don't actually park across the dropped kerb, but either size of it, half on the road, half on the verge. So although I can get out of my drive, i cannot see up or down the road for oncoming vehicles.

I sent my local council an email yesterday to see if there is anything they can do to stop this.

I am not trying to be a NIMBY, I am genuinely concerned that there is going to be a nasty accident one of these days. My wife drives our 2 boys to school a couple of days a week (they walk on the other days!) and I am just so worried that she is going to have an accident just trying to get out of our drive!

Get her a 4x4, you will have a better view down the road:rolleyes:
    If they are parking illegally call the police or council.
    How does your wife & yourself cope with blind corners? Or do you choose routes to avoid these?
  • rca779
    Options
    How does your wife & yourself cope with blind corners? Or do you choose routes to avoid these?
    Cheeky :angry:

MrsE, please see my last post #77.

I know I don't own the highway, my issue is that of safety just trying to get out of my drive!
  • MrsE_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cheeky :angry:

MrsE, please see my last post #77.

I know I don't own the highway, my issue is that of safety just trying to get out of my drive!

As a 4x4 driver I find it really cheeky that you generalise all 4x4 drivers.

I DO NOT tear down residential roads EVER!

They are not tearing down your road because they drive a 4x4, they are tearing down your road because they are bad drivers. What style of car they have is imaterial.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure