Changes To StayWarm

Comments

• Depends on number of people.

3 bedroom 3 people = £63 pm
    3 bedroom 2 people = £58 pm
    3 bedroom 1 person = £48 pm

Only available in Wales (not in their other areas). They are not advertising it because they don't want to be overwhelmed with applicants.

That 96,000 Kwh max is what they told me on the phone - but when I got the paperwork that says 35,000 Kwh max for electricity plus 35,000 Kwh max for gas.
  • I changed over from Staywarm in July to Ebico. as i said in a previous post i was paying £69 per month,and at the end of a complete year according to my meters i had only used Just over £550.
    My D/D with Ebico are £21 Gas & £24 Electric, i know it is early days, but i feel a lot happier just paying for what we use.
    It know it will suit some people just keep a check over the year, and then make up your mind wether to stay or change to another company.
  • Just received new monthly payment to Staywarm, increased by approx 26% and their consumption figures for me are incorrect. Been with them 3 years or so. Despite fixed price for 12 months shall be moving from Staywarm as some alternatives are cheaper by £10/month and if prices increase, shall change again. I read meters every week and know exactly my consumption. Has not varied too much over 10 years.
    The moving finger, having writ, moved on.
  • Just a point. I understood that Staywarm was for those over 60, at least one in house, up to 3 bedrooms but based on number of occupants, up to four. You do not need to be on benefits but most of pensionable age receive some or all of the state pension, hardly a benefit but a paid for entitlement.
    The moving finger, having writ, moved on.
  • Got the new charges this morning.
    Fom £60.35 to £77 per month a 28% rise. 3 bed semi with two occupants.

Time to switch I think.
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    We were with staywarm for 12 months, when we moved house we had to use the existing supplier, Staywarm tried to get us to continue with them by saying that we had signed an agreement with them for the new house...... it took us 6 months of argument before we got them to agree that we had not signed an agreement and in fact had written to them cancelling our exisiting agreement before we moved.

At present we are with Powergen, not that they are brilliant, but thats a dfferent story, we pay £30 a month on duel fuel, managed on the internet, we have just had £100 refunded because we were so much in credit.

We had work done to bring the house insulation up to standard which made a big difference, attic and walls,they also put draft excluder around the windows, we would like to have the landing, bathroom and back bedroom window replaced, but our landlord will not do them, so we are losing heat through them, you can feel the difference in the temperature in those rooms compared to the other rooms which have double glazing.

We are two pensioners living in a two bedroomed 1970 semi, the windows were big as was the fashion in those days we have curtains with thermal linings and in the winter we do not open the curtains fully to the side of the windows so we keep part of the glass covered, always draw the curtains when it starts to get dark in the winter and we have a curtain on the front door, which covers the door and window at the side.

I will wait and see how much the bills go up under Powergen before I do a comparision to see if I can find a cheaper supplier.......

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • Hi all

Following on from my post #29 in this thread, we've recently been notified that because we've been with Atlantic Gas for a year, we've qualified for a 'reward' of £30 to be repaid into our joint account. If we stay with them for a year, the deal is that we pay for 11 months' gas and get one free!

Not bad, I think!

BTW a lot of older people are whingeing about increases in fuel charges. Don't they see a paper or listen to the news? Gas and electricity charges are tied to the cost and availability of oil and I'm afraid, oil is running out! Especially as it is affected by factors like the hurricanes Katrina and Rita in the Gulf of Mexico, instability in the Middle East, all those kind of things.

Aunty Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • I mentioned a few posts above about the increased staywarm bill - from £60 to £77 per month and my intention to jump ship (Scottish Power at £760 PA seems favourite).

I had a thought (and am not a mathematician) - would we be better off waiting until winter was over before swapping, given that consumption will be highest at this coming time of year at capped prices???
  • General rule of thumb is if you are leaving best time is early spring and if you are joining best time is late autumn - but obviously depends on your usage levels.

Remember to factor in the 5 weeks period it takes to switch to a new company.
  • Graham1 wrote:
    General rule of thumb is if you are leaving best time is early spring and if you are joining best time is late autumn - but obviously depends on your usage levels.

Remember to factor in the 5 weeks period it takes to switch to a new company.

Am I missing something here?
    If you leave in early spring, what are you going to do untill late autumn? Use torches and camping a stove?
    From what I've seen, if it's cheaper elsewhere and the rate is capped, then go for it before they increase it, but for no more than 2 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure