Why not utilise revenue sharing within moneysavingexpert forums?

Options
It's great that there is no advertising on Martin's website.
We all know we are getting impartial advice from an expert with no other motives other than to help people out.
But as I'm sure everybody is aware, advertising has its place.

Some forums like the one at digitalpoint.com allows advertising through google adsense but shares the revenue with the people who post on the site.

I think this forum could benefit from a similar route but the users could keep 100% of the revenue and moneysavingexpert.com stays impartial.

This system does not go against Google's TOC's and would be a great benefit to a lot of people who use this site.

This is only a brief outline of what I think could be done.
If you would like some more detail on my idea just ask, as I didn't want to clog up the message with technical details.

Comments

• El_Pirate
    Options
    I don't think it would work out after spending all those years branding the site as 'free of ads'.
  • 2kids1wife0cash
    Options
    El_Pirate wrote: »
    I don't think it would work out after spending all those years branding the site as 'free of ads'.

Yes but it's not the "free of ads" banner that drives people to the site.
    It's the tried and tested methods Martin brings to people's attention. Don't forget this website uses Google Adwords Advertising to drive traffic to the site already.

I'm not talking about having ads on the main site. That should remain free of ads because a revenue share would be too difficult to work out.

Only on the Forum underneath the first post of each thread. These ads can be managed so no undesireable ads are allowed through too.
    I would suggest only trusted members (IE100+ posts 50+ thanks) are allowed to participate.
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use this site primarily for the reason that it is "ad-free". Particularly on the Forum section, I can list many forum sites that are "Ad-free", MSE prides itself and the members that it is strictly an AD-FREE site. I speak for myself when I say I dont wish to trough through forums with advertisements slipped in between posts. I am less interested in a site that shares a revenue between its members, than a site that is more interested in the benefits of the mass population, on a completely honest, open and above all, not for profit, free and voluntary situation.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • a11waysindebt
    Options
    Have a think,and decide why the site is add free.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The site runs slow for a few of us and I certainly would be very unhappy if it was even slower due to ads.

I fully support this stance for MSE to be free of ads.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi

To answer the OP, the answer's a definite no.

To answer another point on here, there's no need to have a think about why it's ad-free. All the info on why there are no ads is clearly explained in the How This Site Is Funded article which is linked to from every article on the main site and from the boxes on the right-hand side of the forum.

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To have people on the forums posting ads willy nilly would be a nightmare. We have a referrers section and it works well. This isn't something I would consider I'm afraid.

Martin :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • sra
    sra Posts: 4,678 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    To have people on the forums posting ads willy nilly would be a nightmare. We have a referrers section and it works well. This isn't something I would consider I'm afraid.

Martin :)

Just to clarify, the OPs suggesting something like Digitalpoint and Snap Preview does.

For example, on this thread you'll see there are two Google ads (top-right and between posts).

These ads are fixed there by Digitalpoint. If you have a Google Adsense account, you can tell Digitapoint your publisher id code and Digitalpoint will display ads using your publisher id on threads you participate in (so they'd be your ads with money going into your account).

Two problems -

I think you need to have a website before Google will let you an adsense account (though you could throw up a quick blog on blogger and get one very quickly)

It might encourage people just to post crap replies constantly just to be earning money off popular threads.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    Options
    Hi folks

The site finances are very happily strongly in the black. There is no need for any donations and I wouldn't want it.

However we're ever closer to launching the new MSE educational Charity which should be up and running soon and people will be able to do nate to that :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • stebiz
    stebiz Posts: 6,590 Forumite
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Hi folks

The site finances are very happily strongly in the black. There is no need for any donations and I wouldn't want it.

However we're ever closer to launching the new MSE educational Charity which should be up and running soon and people will be able to do nate to that :)

Is there somewhere we can read more about the proposed MSE educational Charity?? Who is it aimed at??

Cheers
    Stebiz
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills