Advice needed re: income support/jsa

Options
Hello

A friend of mine told me about this site and the good advice offered. I have been lurking for a while now but really do need some advice myself.

I claim income support, I have 3 children, two of them 17 & 18 are in Education. My youngest reaches 16 next month and I have been informed that my income support will end and that I will have to make a new claim for JSA. My question is will I lose all the money I receive at the moment for the 3 kids? I know I will lose the lone parent payment but don't know how I would be able to manage on just £50 odd pound to keep the 4 of us. I am starting to feel sick with worry.

Any help or recommendations on what I should do next would be really great.

Thanks

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    Options
    I presume you will still get Child Benefit if they are in full-time Education.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they are in non advanced education you should still be able to claim Child Benefit for them. You should also be able to claim Child Tax Credits.

See Tax Credits - do I qualify?.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Kazzajr
    Kazzajr Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should have been offered an appointment with an advisor at the jobcentre, if you haven't arrange one yourself they will be able to help you find work or training that will suit your situation.
  • lynnexxxo
    lynnexxxo Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    I beleive if your children are still in full time education you can still claim income support. if some of them are working then the amount will be reduced accordingly. If they are all working then you will only be entitled to JSA and you will not receive full hb as their income will be taken into account (assuming they live with you).

All things considered i think its time to look for a job.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lynnexxxo wrote: »
    I beleive if your children are still in full time education you can still claim income support. if some of them are working then the amount will be reduced accordingly. If they are all working then you will only be entitled to JSA and you will not receive full hb as their income will be taken into account (assuming they live with you).

All things considered i think its time to look for a job.
    Income Support stops once they reach 16. OP says they are in education, not working.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • lynnexxxo
    lynnexxxo Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry OP Fran is right.

Looks like my option two is the only option.
  • katiezee
    Options
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to post your replies.

I have been working part time for many years, unfortunately myself and a lot of colleagues lost our jobs a couple of months ago and to make things worse at this particular time I may have to have a hysterectomy and I don't think there will be many employers willing to take on someone who is going to need 6 months off after only a short time.

Thanks again
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    You don't have to tell a prospective employer that you may be due to have a hysterectomy! Plus, you don't know for sure yourself yet.

You may not need 6 months off either. Most people I know of were back within 3 months.
  • oldmotherreilly
    Options
    Are your kids claiming EMA katiezee-they may be entitled to up to £30 per week each if they are not. This is a link (my first time of trying to do a link so sorry if its wrong1) you might like to look at
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/parents/work/secondary/higher_education/ema.shtml#1
    Hope this helps!
  • paisley_lass
    Options
    i receive IS for myself and child tax credits for my 2 sons 1 of whom is 16 and staying on at school....i thought it was done away with getting IS for kids now and it had changed to CTC....you should get child tax credits and child benefits up til they are 19 as long as they are in full time education.....and yeah make sure they are all claiming EMA!
    :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport