our phone bills are quite high what should i go to..?

Options
Deals_2
Deals_2 Posts: 2,410 Forumite
we are spending about £50/£72 in December (!) a month now on 18185. i think we tend to put most of our calls this way and we have BT as the company we subscribe to. so i am finding this quite costly. i dont think we are using 18185 the way described by Heinz moneysaver. i nearly find it too complex. i just want something relatively straightforward to use where i dont have to analyse whether it is really a mobile phone call or 0845 etc and chop and change. could anyone give me some advice ? thanks

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Get an Orchid!

Call routing is totally transparent then.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • BritBrat
    BritBrat Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    Options
    Orchid is great, and on this site you can find out how to get a discount on it.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=518161
    Heinz wrote:

V2 (single carrier) £10.99 (£8.79 after MSE discount);
    V4 (multiple carrier) £14.99 (£11.99 after MSE discount);
    V4+ (multiple carrier + backup power source) £19.98 (£15.98 after MSE discount).

Most people find the standard V4 adequate for their needs.

My Bills before May last year were in the range of £50 - £70 a month now they hardly go over £20 total and thats 3 seperate bills, Primus about 50p if they are lucky, BT £11 - £12 and 18185 around £5 - £7.

And all I did was follow Heinz advice, OK at first the Orchid seems to be very complicated but with the help of Heinz after a while you wonder why you thought that.
  • utilitybroker
    Options
    Deals wrote: »
    we are spending about £50/£72 in December (!) a month now on 18185. i think we tend to put most of our calls this way

How is the call spend broken down.What type of numbers do you ring the most via 18185.

If you make lots of peak 01/2 calls then its possible you would be better off on a 24/7 01/2 inclusive bundle,rather then use 18185 for these calls.

If you dont make lots of peak calls but your using 18185 for your Evening and Weekend Calls you can get these free. See:http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=1598074&postcount=3
  • Deals_2
    Deals_2 Posts: 2,410 Forumite
    Options
    for £14 sounds interesting which i might order. however as Heinz rightly says it does not take into consideration the new internet bundled deals - how does this compare? thanks everso
    How is the call spend broken down.What type of numbers do you ring the most via 18185.

If you make lots of peak 01/2 calls then its possible you would be better off on a 24/7 01/2 inclusive bundle,rather then use 18185 for these calls.

If you dont make lots of peak calls but your using 18185 for your Evening and Weekend Calls you can get these free. See:http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=1598074&postcount=3
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure