🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

help, don't know what to do

Options
Hi, I am new on here so please be gentle with me!
i would love some help and advise. I am about to finish my divorce proceedings and will be moving into a house in the next 6 weeks with my 8 year old and my 18 year old. My 18 year old is at college for the next 3 years. I unfortunately at the moment do not work as I have been a stay at home mum since I had my youngest. I obviously will change that as soon as possible and hopefully get a part time job. Does anybody know exactly what I can claim for for the time being? My soon to be ex has put in the divorce settlement that he will pay £300 a month which is online with the CSA calculator. I have never claimed anything in my life apart from Family Allowance so I am completely at loss of what to do or where to go.

Comments

• karen2
    karen2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Should of mentioned that the house I move into will be my own private house out of the divorce settlement so therefore I have no mortgage.
  • TigerAngel11
    Options
    Your local Job Centre can tell you what benefits you'll be able to claim and can help you to find a job. As much as people on here can speculate, that's the only way you'll find out for sure.

£300 when you have no mortgage or rent seems a pretty decent amount, but it depends on where the benefits thresholds are and what savings you have as to whether you get more.
  • Kazzajr
    Kazzajr Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You will be entitled to full child tax credit for your youngest child, not sure about the eldest sorry CTC are based on your own income and maintenance is disregarded in the calculations.

£300 is over the threshold for income support so I don't think you will be entitled to this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport