🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

housing & council tax benefit help wanted please.........

Options
Hi, I'm a lurker and reader on most boards and everyones really helpful :T and I could really do with some advice from those in the know please, my story goes something like this.......

... I suffer with reactive arthritis, it comes and goes every few years, it flared up in september last year and is still giving me trouble now I'm a car mechanic and this obviously makes doing my job difficult, I went off sick in september and was awarded Income support ( they said I wasn't entitled to Incapacity Benefit ) I was also awarded full housing and council tax benefit.

My G.f works p.t and she has 1 child ( under 16 )

In december I was checking paperwork and noticed an old p60 had been filled in wrong and When I spoke with my tax office they ammened the records which inturn meant I qualified for I.B, great I thought, thats £20 a week extra and it helped greatly towards xmas, In january I was told from my council that the I.s had stopped and I had to reapply for c.t & h.b, I did that but now they are saying that I'm not entitled to any housing benefit and only £2 a week c.t.

so this leaves me with over £500 arrears in rent and £300 c.t :eek:

my income p.week is -

£88.00 o.h wages
£53.00 w.t.c
£44.00 c.t.c
£61.35 I.b
£18.10 c.b

does this seem like to much to claim any housing benefit? It just seems unfair that the total incomes only gone up by £20 p.wk but we're £60 p.wk worse off since getting I.b

any thoughts or words of wisdom will be appreciated because it's not looking good at the moment:o
I had debts, my circumstances changed, I tried but couldn't pay them, I dealt with them in the best way I could.........
BR - 10 -10 - 2007 11.05 am

Discharged 07 - 05 - 2008

Comments

• stefejb
    stefejb Posts: 1,725 Forumite
    Options
    let www.entitledto.com do the number crunching for you - if you are entitled to anything it will direct you to how to apply
    HTH
    I'm going to feed our children non-organic food and with the money saved take them to the zoo - half man half biscuit 2008
  • nomoneyprobs
    Options
    Thanks I've been on there and it doesn't really make much sense to me...
    I had debts, my circumstances changed, I tried but couldn't pay them, I dealt with them in the best way I could.........

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    The above figures give you a tax free income of £265 per week, which is a lot more than some people in full time employment get. Your entitlement to HB would depend on the level of your rent.

What problem did you have with entitledto.co.uk? x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • nomoneyprobs
    Options
    The figures at the end made no sence to me, It said that I would be entitled to £25 per week h.b but that was only based on the w.t.c and the c.t.c, not the full amount... Now i've seen your post It makes sence that Our combined income is quite high, I'll check with the council tomorrow but I fear that they're right.

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Could I ask how much your rent is?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • nomoneyprobs
    Options
    Hi dmg24, thanks for your replies, I've spoke to the council today and we're not entitled to any h.b, but we do get a small amount of c.t.b, But as if by magic a miracles happened and w.f.t.c have written to us saying they've been notified of my change in benefit and that i'm now not working ..... I had already told them I'd stopped working in october but It hadn't been changed apparently:mad: so they've changed my estimated income for the year based on me now not working and we've had a top up of money from them :j :j It won't pay everything we owe the council but it'll make good inroads into it :D careful budgeting from now on will see us repaying what we owe and keeping on the right track money wise:D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills