Looking for Hotel in Edinburgh

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
7 replies 1K views
IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
21.6K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
Looking for some help here. DW has been hassling me for a while to take her to Edinburgh ... there is an MSE meet on 01 Sep 2005 ... I am looking to kill 2 albatrosses with 6.4kilos ... what wifey doesn't know won't hurt her (forget I said that last bit) :D

Can anybody recommend a reasonably central hotel or guest house (B&B) that is within handy walking distance (about a mile or so) to the Castle, Princes Street etc. (I will not be bringing the car).

I would like something nice but not massively expensive and, unlike last time I booked a hotel blindly (not Edinburgh) I don't want to end up in a hotel in a bad part of town were you are warned not to go walking at night (with a brothel 2 doors up .. suffice to say DW was less than impressed). DW is likely to want to do lots of shopping, visit the castle ... I just want an excuse to go to the MSE meet.

Thanks for your help
Ivan
Don't waste time on other peoples first world problems

Replies

• declanmccdeclanmcc Forumite
    412 Posts
    Hey,
    I've stayed in the Travelodge on St Mary's Street a couple of times. It's just off the Royal Mile. If you're lucky you could get it really cheap (£26 a night offer). I can't complain about the place at all. No brekkie included though.
  • macchickenmacchicken Forumite
    275 Posts
    Morrison like travel inn. 10 seconds walk from haymarket station, 10-15 min walk from princes street
    That mrs macchicken to you!
  • shrek101shrek101 Unregistered / Not Logged In
    2.2K Posts
    I book marked this site in case in was useful, hope it helps

1,000's of Hotels and Guest Houses in the UK and Worldwide
    http://www.s-h-systems.co.uk/

No longer a user, goodbye folks. PLEASE delete my account. Thank you
  • wolvesinwaleswolvesinwales Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try www.laterooms.co.uk but maybe check location out on here though before booking.
    WHOOOOSHHHHHHHHH……..
    Blimey what was that ?
    That was your life mate
    Oh I wasn’t quite ready can I have another go ?
    Sorry mate only one per person.
  • GladGlad Forumite, Board Guide
    18.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edilass will be back tuesday and I'm sure she'll have some ideas

will be nice to meet you both icon7.gif
    STAY HOME - PROTECT THE NHS - SAVE LIVES
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
  • maggiesoupmaggiesoup Forumite
    676 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Not sure when "reasonable" means but I know a guy (George) who runs a superb Guest House called The Craigelachie Hotel in Murrayfield (approx 1 mile from city centre) a lovely part of town. I think he charges about £100 a night for a double but its non-smoking, fabulous breakfast and the house is gorgeous (8 letting bedrooms in total). Mention Mags from the Quiz Night, although he may add on another £30!

Another area which isn't far from there is Corstorphine. Its about another mile further out but on a main bus route to the centre of town. I've seen lots of guest houses etc. over there and I'd imagine its a bit cheaper than the Craigelachie if you're budget is tight.

Good luck. If I can help with anything, please don't hesitate to ask.
  • MINMOUSEMINMOUSE Forumite
    398 Posts
    Hi I also live in Edinburgh - have you tried https://www.hotels-in-edinburgh.co.uk they have a big choice there. The Ibis Hotel is very near centre of Edinburgh and the MacDonald Hotel near Holyrood is supposed to be brilliant but a bit on the expensive site. I would suggest having a look on the website above and if you have any questions re the area I would be happy to help.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals