PlusNet broadband

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
34 replies 2.9K views
caspolcaspol Forumite
83 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Hi all, have been with BT Broadband for the past two years but am getting tired paying over £20 a month for their 1MB connection. I noticed that PlusNet are offering a conncection, up to 2MB, for £14.99 a month. There is some small print regarding the contract and possibly other payments depending on whether this is monthly or yearly, but overall it looks like a very good deal. Has anyone here a PlusNet BB connection and what has been your experience of it re: reliability, actual conections speeds, support, etc? Thanks
No reliance should be placed on the above, as i don't believe anything i say either...

Replies

• jndjnd Forumite
    453 Posts
    I'm on PlusNet PAYG Broadband. I'm getting 2Mb but as there is a limit to how far you are from the exchange you need to check what you would get here http://www.bt.com/btbroadband/ns_availability_check.jsp

I've had no problems with reliability, connection or the speed. The support is an 0845 number.

For £14.99 I get up to 1gig a month. I've found this to be sufficient for my needs but if I need more it's only £1 for each extra gig. I'm looking forward to the finish of the 8Mb tests. PlusNet claim they will upgrade everyone for free when it comes available at your exchange.
  • caspolcaspol Forumite
    83 Posts
    Thanks jnd. i've checked and I can get up to 1MB. I am still waiting for BT to upgrade me to this speed. I think I will give PlusNet a go as I have heard other good things about them as well. There's quite a price difference especially when you see the total on your quarterly bill :>
    No reliance should be placed on the above, as i don't believe anything i say either...
  • CoolhandlukeCoolhandluke Forumite
    634 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I'm with Plusnet to and so far no problems :T
    Signed up for their £14.99 package around May.
    Had been on their dial up package prior to that.
  • crankupcrankup Forumite
    340 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    PlusNet have a good reputation for their service.
    Beware though, that if you take the "no install fee/no activation charges" option and wish to cancel in the 1st 12 months, then they will want the £58.75 for cancelling, plus any outstanding months on the contract, plus the cost of hardware.
    https://portal.plus.net/info2/legal/contract_periods.html
    Quite a lot make similar charges on early cancellation but these are a little higher than average. I dont believe Virgin have a minimum contract period though.

Regards,
    Crankup
    * "Take my advice, Dont listen to me." *
    ~~ Yes I've tried Google ~~
    ~~ Yes I've tried ebaY ~~
  • jndjnd Forumite
    453 Posts
    Crankup reminded me,

The no install fee is on a sliding scale for 5 years. If you leave anytime within that time they proportion the £58.75 at £11.75/year. I took the no hardware option, because I went wireless and was able to get better eqpt. cheaper that what PlusNet were offering. Caspol, you'll be able to use your old hardware and even if you weren't, the no-hardware option is the better choice anyway seeing as you can buy a Speedtouch USB modem from Ebay for like £6 incl. p+p.

After reading some posts on Virgin at the adslguide.org website I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.
  • RiceyRicey Forumite
    9 Posts
    Registered with plusnet about three weeks ago. Painless and profitable :D You have to contact BT for some details in order for the switch to be made - expect delaying tactics (computers are slow, etc) while they try to talk you out of it. Ignore this; press on. BT need 7 days notice during which you will continue to be charged so act soon. Since you pay BT in advance, they will refund the balance (less the notice period) on your next bill.

On the day of the switch, telephone plusnet and they will make the change for you. You can also do this by email but since BT disconnect you on the day of the switch it is probably easier just to phone.

Service is good and the telephone centre seems to be UK based. No sign of any hidden charges yet but I'll let you know. Meanwhile ... :beer:
  • caspolcaspol Forumite
    83 Posts
    Really beginning to sound like the deal to go for alright. I noticed the information about payment if you leave before the 12 months are up but I think that is probably a reasonable compromise for the deal they are offering. I won't be needing any equipment either as I already have a wireless 4-port router that is quite new and totally reliable. This may be a bit off-topic but one of the reasons I am considering leaving BT is their method of taking payment by monthly direct debit. I signed up for this as I like to know exactly how much I am spending every month. When I first signed they estimated my monthly payment as £28 - based on previous usage - which I realised was not enough as the BB is £23.99 on its own. I reckoned they would soon adjust this - and did they!! The new sum is £60 a month and I am now in credit by at least a month. I have been on to them about it, as this is far too much to pay every month and I don't want them having my money, but they say its an automatic calculation that is made that they cannot change!! Anyone else have this experience??
  • HunnymonsterHunnymonster Forumite
    751 Posts
    caspol wrote:
    I have been on to them about it, as this is far too much to pay every month and I don't want them having my money, but they say its an automatic calculation that is made that they cannot change!! Anyone else have this experience??

Yes, it's total BS - ask for the supervisor and keep going until they put you on to "High Level Complaints" - then magically you should get the overpayment refunded and your DD dropped to a realistic level.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

In many cases it helps if you say where you are - someone with local knowledge might be able to give local specifics rather than general advice
  • caspolcaspol Forumite
    83 Posts
    Thanks for this Hunnymonster. I have given up doing battle with the Kafkaesque experience that is BT. It is really annoying that a system they tout as being of benefit to you, ie knowing how much you are going to pay every month, starts to cost you far more than your previous arrangement and it is torture to get out of!! At this stage I will move all to PlusNet and get refund that way...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals