🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Tax Query

Options
I am an University student. I have had occasional jobs but do not have any permanent jobs. I do not have NI number, they usually give me a temporary number everytime i do a job.

I got a letter today from the HM & Customs saying i may have to pay tax this year and if i have to then i have to notify my bank. Otherwise, they will send me a tax bill after next April for the tax i should have paid on the interest.

From last April till now, i would have probably earned ~1000 pounds which is less than 5000+ that is required before i get taxed. In that case, I am sure i should not be taxed. So, am i right saying that this is a standard letter and i can just ignore it?

Thanks in adv!

Comments

• superstar_2
    superstar_2 Posts: 2,104 Forumite
    Options
    anyone? BUMP
  • smithson55
    Options
    Never ignore a letter from HMR&C, superstar, if it opens a door (even one that should be shut) to paying tax. I suggest a letter back to them (always keep copies) setting out your income in the tax year, including any bank interest, mentioning whether tax was deducted or it was paid gross.
    Have I been helpful? The Thanks button is just here :T
    >
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Start off by calling your local tax office for advice and let them know of your income. Always keep P45's and P60's!
  • superstar_2
    Options
    Just to clarify this so that i can get more advice. All i received was a leaflet but it had my name and address on it.

The title was Do you need to pay tax on your interest? It also said - You may need to pay tax this year because you now have a pension or a job or social security benefits. I don't have ANY of these. Had 2 temporary jobs but they were one off, got £1000 and that's it. I'm a fulltime student and dont have any permanent jobs.

It then continued saying that - If i need to pay tax, then i should notify my bank. Otherwise, they will send me a tax bill after next April for the tax i should have paid on the interest.

That was all on it. I don't think i need to contact them and i think it is just one of the routine ones, probably after my employer sent them something. Do you think i need to contact them? I have earned £1000 but have not paid any tax. I also dont pay tax for my bank interests.

I would do with some quick advice please...thanks thanks!
  • superstar_2
    Options
    BUMP bump bump
  • superstar_2
    Options
    Just bringing it up again if any kind soul can help me! Thanks ...
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    superstar,

Could I ask why you do not have an NI number? x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They're advised of every account that pays interest. And they keep a particular eye on those where an R85 is filed. The note has undoubtedly been provoked by that + something from one of the employers you mention - so they know there are also some earnings. So .... it's just a warning shot that you may be headed into taxable territory!

If they don't ask you to make contact .. then don't do so. If your total income for the year to 5.4.08 is £5225 or less (including gross interest) then you're OK. But keep all P45 copies / payslips etc .... just in case.

As dmg24 says .... why no NI number? That needs sorting if it's 'don't have' .. as opposed to 'don't know'?
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • superstar_2
    Options
    Thanks Mike and Dmg!

Firstly, I dont have an NI number yet as I'm not an UK national. I'm an International student here in the UK.

Secondly, all they have said is what i have described above:

This is what they have said: The title was Do you need to pay tax on your interest? It also said - You may need to pay tax this year because you now have a pension or a job or social security benefits. I don't have ANY of these. Had 2 temporary jobs but they were one off, got £1000 and that's it. I'm a fulltime student and dont have any permanent jobs.

It then continued saying that - If i need to pay tax, then i should notify my bank. Otherwise, they will send me a tax bill after next April for the tax i should have paid on the interest. That was all on it.

In the end, it said - If you need help about it or tax in general terms - i. contact local HM ii. talk to local HM iii. visit https://www.hmrc.gov.uk

That's all have been said. I have earned less than that figure, so i dont need to inform my bank cos im dont have to be taxed. Shall i leave it alone?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport