Advice - LA Fitness cancellation charge

Options

Comments

• Nurlygul
    Options
    Dear All former members of LA Fitness,who had bad experience

Please someone advise ,how the story ended?I have red many postings about your bad experience with LA Fitness claiming what they shouldnt do and what ?Have you paid them the amount they have been claiming?
    I have the same situation with LA Fitness,i had 3 month contract and before the end ,i sent them letter about my cancellation(i was advised by the member of the team to do so) And after some time ,I have recieved a letter asking me for money as LA claimed they havent recieved my letter. I called them and explainedwhat happened and the letter was sent one month before the contract expired .They said i should call them and cancell the contract,not send them letters )but after some time they sent me another letter asking now for much more.So instead of cancelling my memebrship ,they sending me more bills
    How does it happened here in UK,where we can see lots of rules and regulations,where the Law seems works?LA Fitness definatelly financially abusing people,pretending they havent recieved the letters etc.And contract doesnt say the amount you owe them somehow will grow in geometrical proportion! I have tried to find on their website where i have to complain,no result!
    I would like to go to court and solve this problem once and forever if the Law allows me.Clubs like LA Fitness should not get away with this! Please join me and I will be not alone.
    P.S.The reason i havent renued my contract was the absolute negligence-the club was dirty!Always running waters in the showers(they basically didnt work,so the water run non stop!)during 3 month of my contract the swimming pool wasnt working most of the time and i only use swimming pool,not gim,so LA Fitness owe me money,as they dint provide the service promised in their contract!
  • sebass89
    Options
    I got a law to deal with my problem with la fitness
    ( i try cancel 12 hours after singing the contra and i never use the gym at anytime )

now there stop calling & whiting to me
  • income
    Options
    sebass89 wrote: »
    I got a law to deal with my problem with la fitness
    ( i try cancel 12 hours after singing the contra and i never use the gym at anytime )

now there stop calling & whiting to me

please tell more!!! :(
  • suzapaul23
    Options
    Hi
    I joined LA Fitness in Lincoln, in 2009 - October, I rang them in Sept 2010 to ask when my membership finished,... no problem was told end of Oct... on Nov 13th I rang them to say that I wanted to cancel my membership.. they asked for my address and ask me to write a letter which I did.. nothing more was said.. no letter nothing....
    My husband had trouble cancelling his membership,... he rang... last December.... then we had letter demanding £50.99... his membership was £24.99.... today he rang them up saying that he would just pay as he didnt want any hassle...
    About 10 minutes later LA fitness rang myself (I was off ill from work after an operation and luckily my husband was on a day off and was with me) saying that it was a courtesy call.... then went on to say that I owe a months membership ?? I havent heard from them since last November 2010... in conversation Phil said that that my husband had asked him to call me about my membership... my husband was stood right next to me, I asked him if he had ask Phil... he was SHOCKED as he said he Did not ask or mention anything about my old cancelled membership... I said to this man, you are lieing... this man became rather agressive and quite rude, stating that I must pay this months membership,.. I told him that I rang the number from a email from the manager of Lincoln club and spoke to them,.. he did not believe me.. Is this what they do? Harass old members, lie to them... I was so upset I put the phone down on him. Now I expect I shall be receiving a letter from them, for a membership that was cancelled over 3 months ago! This is the last thing that I need at the moment. If I had known this about this club then I would not have joined and certainly not have paid for a years membership for my husband birthday, as once you have joined its a NIGHTMARE to cancel... all I can say is BEWARE of LA FITNESS... do your homework and research other gyms before you join !!!!
  • sebass89
    Options
    income wrote: »
    please tell more!!! :(

i got a lawyer to deal with my claim
  • sistalk
    Options
    VERY interesting, I have the same story... I cancelled a first time (at the end of my 12month contract) and started receiving letters (to my old address as they had also not taken into account my new address) claiming £109.98. I immediately called membership services and I was told they had never heard of my cancellation. I eventually accepted to pay £29.99 as it seemed to be the only way to get rid of them and I was assured I would not hear of them again. I was going to receive an email that same day but I never did. I called back next day to confirm and the person again said that yes all was sorted. Promised an email, email never arrived... Just got my old post forwarded again and surprise ! Letter from Trevor Munn requesting the balance payment of £79.99... I am sooooo ANGRY !!! I just sent an email to the CEO as it was advises, and I will complain to trades and standards as I think lots of people should do. This company had to be punished for this type of harassement.
  • add7ct7on
    Options
    I am having problems with LA fitness.

well here's the story, when i signed up i was told i could just cancel my contract by cancelling my direct debit (which i now know to be false) get email saying to ring them i do for them just to be very rude and insisting that i pay my monthly fee of 52.39! i say i am not until i receive a copy of the contract i signed and the t&c's that went with it, they said they would send me email, never receieved!

few days went passed, another email asking for me to ring them, i say i have not received a copy of my terms and conditions, they say they have been sent, so they send another email. received alost striaght away.

I contract was readable, the terms and conditions where barely readable, and completely diferent to the ones on the website. given an email to member services the email bouncy's back, i sent it to two address at the company because i have read about loads of email addresses not working. or just don't exist which seems more likely with this company.

i kept getting told no matter what i said, according to the terms and conditions blah blah.

i was reading my contract like mad i noticed that i have been paying a member fee of £48 and a starter fee of £3.30 for 15 months. and in the small print it states after 15 month of the inital period i am to pay my member fee until i cancel. which is £48 pounds not 52.39 which they are asking for. can i say to them you have not read the contract that you have with me also, plus do i have to pay for a service that is so rubbish and non existant with there atitude and the customer is always wrong policy.

please help all i have received from la fitness during this matter is according to our terms and conditions blah blah, and what seems like scare tactics and letters saying they will add an admin fee if i dont pay(this has all come over the course of me complaining and getting no where)

I am sure you dont have to pay the full amount for a service which doesn't meet your expectations, just like in a resturant you can pay what you think a meal is worth not what is stated on the menu if you are not statitisfid with it.

can anyone help?

sorry about the spelling
    thanks in advance
    Lee
  • LiamBarker
    Options
    I have a problem with LA fitness also.

I cancelled the Direct Debit, and then paid off what I owed, and asked them to clarify that my membership was cancelled. I then got three letters in the months following saying that I owed them that month's payment, even though I'd cancelled the membership.

Does anyone know if you can get them to trace the call, as I definitely asked them to ensure that it was cancelled.

I'm now faced with a debt collection threat, for £72...

I'm not paying it.

Any advice would be great, thanks very much :)
  • In_Tune
    In_Tune Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi,

I have been battling with LA Fitness for nearly half a year now. I signed up in December 2010 but was forced to relocate due to my husband's business problems at the end of January 2011. I called LA Fitness and at the time was told there was a relocation fee of £90. I sent proof of relocation. Initially they refused to accept proof of relocation, stating that there was a gym "nearby" (it is 60 miles away). The contract was for 2 years so they were demanding over £900 for a gym I couldn't even use. They then claimed, when I stated this, that they never received proof of relocation. I then went to Consumer Direct whom have now passed the case on to Trading Standards. Despite me relocating at the end of January, subsequent to my last (registered delivery letter) and threat of trading standards, they are still trying to charge me for the past 5 months (£162), and want the aforementioned £200 cancellation fee. So, I have reduced the amount owed by 2/3's and am still fighting. I am going to continue updating trading standards and am going to write to Watchdog, and doing everything else I can to stop other people falling into LA Fitness traps. If anyone else feels like writing to consumer direct, please do. In a similar case last year a whole group of fitness establishments were forced to allow members to cancel free of charge due to very similar circumstances to that which has been experienced here and I have been informed by Trading Standards that this High Court ruling could be made to apply to LA Fitness in due course. I hope this gives people courage to march on.
  • GeeKaush
    Options
    However i was conned into signing a 12 month contract telling me I can cancel within three months. How did you contact trading standards? I contacted consumer direct and they said they will inform trading standards.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure