Problem with postage and seller

Options
Just had an e-mail from a seller who I bought an item off, saying the first class post cost more than he had charged so he posted it 2nd class. And is this OK?
I paid for 1st class as that was what was listed in the auction, is it up to him to pay the diff. I have done this before and have learnt now to check the weight.

What do you think?

Comments

• criminal_smile
    Options
    All depends how long it takes. Didn't a recent investigation by Postwatch find that 2nd class post arrived faster than 1st class in a lot of cases? If it arrives in 2 days or so, then you got what you paid for. Hardly worth the hassle to start complaining about it. Unless of course you're bored, in which case you could hound him for a refund of the difference in the price of the stamps....:D
    Could turn into a pet project ;)
    I haven't been asked to tell you that I'm the [highlight]Board Drunk[/highlight] for this board. As the night wears on, my posts will become worse, with simple spelling mistakes, inane ramblings, and a blatant disregard for the truth. I have no authority to do anything, so there's no point asking or telling me. If you see me past midnight, please tell me to get my coat and order me a taxi.

Free Ebay Simple Profit/Loss Spreadsheet. PM me for a download link.
  • Frogling
    Frogling Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, if you paid in good faith for first class then that is what you should get. Having said that, I'm not sure there's anything you can do about it now if he has actually posted it out to you second class.

If he is an experienced seller, then he should know better. I personally would have covered the extra postage cost out of my own pocket if I had miscalculated - after all, it's not the buyers fault.

How much money are we talking about here for the postage costs?
  • freddie_2
    freddie_2 Posts: 918 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks folks, OK so the postage cost is only £1.00 but thats not the point, think I will wait and see when it turns up.
  • jaffa30
    jaffa30 Posts: 19,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Hi
    Really the seller should have covered the difference himself as you did pay for 1st class.
    See how long it take to arrive and go from there.

Jaffa
    R.I.P Sam, still in my heart
  • mah_jong
    mah_jong Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I got a huge row from people here for doing this...yet buyey got it in 3 days of close of auction and all the money went on postage!!! I waited over three weeks for something recently!!

So my thoughts are ...if you get it quick.... all the money wnet on postage ...yes the seller made am error in listing BUT ....it wasn't too bad! (Stands back and waits for the flack!!!). If you are happy with the item too I would not neg or neutral either under these conditions.

I bought scales soon after that ....I shall not repeat that!
  • brantwood150
    brantwood150 Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    Frogling wrote:
    I personally would have covered the extra postage cost out of my own pocket if I had miscalculated - after all, it's not the buyers fault.

Me too - I had to do this several times before I bought the postage scales. Like you say, it's not the buyer's fault.

I've even had to upgrade postage from the service listed in the auction because, although the item weighed less that 750g, it came in at over 750g when I had packed it for posting (who would have guessed that bubble wrap and a strong envelope could make that much difference?)
    Everyone loves Magical Trevor.
    'Cause the tricks that he does are ever so clever.
  • jaffa30
    Options
    mah_jong wrote:
    So my thoughts are ...if you get it quick.... all the money wnet on postage ...yes the seller made am error in listing BUT ....it wasn't too bad! (Stands back and waits for the flack!!!). If you are happy with the item too I would not neg or neutral either under these conditions.

If you are happy with the way the trabsaction went leave a possy feedback ( you could mention postage in that )

Jaffa
  • jaffa30
    Options
    Hi Brant

Air costs money LOL
  • katiepops_2
    katiepops_2 Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    Me too - I had to do this several times before I bought the postage scales. Like you say, it's not the buyer's fault.

I've even had to upgrade postage from the service listed in the auction because, although the item weighed less that 750g, it came in at over 750g when I had packed it for posting (who would have guessed that bubble wrap and a strong envelope could make that much difference?)

So why don't you weigh the envelope and the amount of bubble wrap you're going to use as well when you weigh the item in the first place??

Kate
  • criminal_smile
    Options
    Unfortunately all sellers will get it wrong at some stage. I took a hit for double the postage charge I quoted last week, when my OH posted SD instead of RD. Just had to grit my teeth and bear it. Got great feedback though....:D
    I haven't been asked to tell you that I'm the [highlight]Board Drunk[/highlight] for this board. As the night wears on, my posts will become worse, with simple spelling mistakes, inane ramblings, and a blatant disregard for the truth. I have no authority to do anything, so there's no point asking or telling me. If you see me past midnight, please tell me to get my coat and order me a taxi.

Free Ebay Simple Profit/Loss Spreadsheet. PM me for a download link.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure