Orange Sneeky Gits!!

Options
Hiya just telephoned orange intrying to lower my Tariff only to be told i had upgraded in March. I didnt see this as a problem but the lovely lady at orange told me because i had upgraded my tariff was locked for 6 months and it couldnt be changed before 4th of September. I informed her i was not sent these terms and conditions and that i was not informed ( in which iw asnt all i had was a cheerful guy offering a free upgrade). Too which she said there was nothing i could do about it. :mad:

This has made me !!!!!! off as iwas never informed off the tariff being locked for 6 months and i feel very hard done by on this. Im not looking for sympathy on this matter but i feel it is neccessary to notify other MSE users of the sneeky tactics that Orange use. As i was never notified of being locked into a tariff for 6 months

Hope this story helps other MSE users :beer:
Savings Total so far for 2023: £8,062.58

Comments

• needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    James240 wrote:
    :mad:

This has made me !!!!!! off as iwas never informed off the tariff being locked for 6 months and i feel very hard done by on this. Im not looking for sympathy on this matter but i feel it is neccessary to notify other MSE users of the sneeky tactics that Orange use. As i was never notified of being locked into a tariff for 6 months

Hope this story helps other MSE users :beer:

Hiya James well I am looking for sympathy:D cos I just am so confused with Orange contracts and just wish I'd stuck to pay-as-you-go. I love my mobile and it's costing me a bomb.

I naively thought that at the end of your one year contract the phone would become yours and then go to pay as you go, seems not and you have to pay to leave. I am very heavy on texts and it nearly always costs me double what I agreed to pay, if that makes sense. I find it takes so long to get through to them and become so confused when I do that I am just putting up with it:mad:
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• James240
    James240 Posts: 16,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Never heard of the phone not being urs at the end of your contract Needmoney. This sounds quite extortianate!!! i wonder if anyone else on MSE has had this problemas if thats the case when i finsih the contract with Orange and they want to still charge me for the phone, they can have it back smashed into little pieces!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

James
  • cougar_3
    cougar_3 Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    BT Yahoo internet did the same to me. Since you 'upgraded' over the phone, there's no proof you agreed to extend the contract.

Dodgy!
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry James I put that badly what I meant was that it 'seems' like the phone is never yours as they keep tying you in. I told you I was confused by them now I sound daft as well:D and I'm still bloomin mad at them like you say 'sneeky gits'
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• James240
    Options
    truscott_uk is there anything that can be done to stop this at all? Like with certain credit you need to sign a credit agreement form. Ore is it all legal and above board to say that u cant change it as youve upgraded as i do feel a bit hard done by on this................ :mad:
  • James240
    Options
    just seen ur last response needmoney! LOL ur nearly made me smash my phone lol :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I will admit though I use to thought Orange use to be good, but after this sneeky little back door trick to get more money out of u i wont be re-newing my contract with them again..........

James :p
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Firstly the phone is YOURS from day one of your contract. What you are paying for and what you agree to pay is for your line rental.

Once your 12 months are up they put you on a rolling monthly contract, this should have been in your terms and conditions.

Re upgrades. When you get an upgrade you are tied into another 12 month contract, meaning (with Orange) you have to wait 6 months before you can downgrade your contract.

Have you read your terms and conditions?
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • James240
    Options
    Being honest Pin no i havent but when i actually was offered this free upgrade they didnt say anything to me that i would have to be locked into a 6month contract. Yes in hindsight i probably should have read the terms and conditions, but i would have thought they might have said something when offering this free upgrade. Obviusly i willhave to be more careful in the future as this really has !!!!!! me off as i was trying to downgrade the tariff in order to save my slef some money, as i hardly use my mobile now that i ahve split up with my girlfriend. oh well i suppsoe some lessons are learned the hard way............ :o
  • mike_wall15
    mike_wall15 Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I don't think Orange have done anything wrong here, everything is explained in the terms and conditions....

By upgrading over the phone, I don't think it is possible for them to mention every single term of the contract, you'd be there forever, it's upto you to check you are ok with them...

Also, coming from there point of view, they'd hardly let you upgrade to a better phone and then let you downgrade the following month to a much lower tariff, think how much it'd be abused...

Like you say, a valuable and costly lesson learnt....
    ** Mobile Phones.... I'm here to help **
  • James240
    Options
    i can see were ur coming from Mike_wall15 but it only takes 2 secs to say that im going to be locked into a 6month contract and i dont expect them to go thorugh every term and condition, just the one thats going to cost me a lot of moneyand it not like im downgrading after a month ive had the phone 4 months already................................

James
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family