PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help for cloudy wine glasses!

Options
123457»

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The water in a dishwasher gets far too hot for anything made of wood, it will ruin it, common sense really. My glasses have always been fine, i use Finish tablets and separate salt with rinse aid too. I would never put expensive stuff in though, stuff moves about a lot, they're going to get damaged. It will also ruin the plastic handles/knobs on saucepans, i never put mine in, always wash by hand.
  • Gillyx
    Gillyx Posts: 6,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Same as nearly everyone else, Finish tablets and separate salt and rinse aid.

The glasses we have are the 40p jobbers from Asda and Tesco, we smash and chip glasses like no tomorrow, so they continually need replaced anyway.
    The frontier is never somewhere else. And no stockades can keep the midnight out.
  • aplaceinthesun
    Options
    We used to use the Finish 5 in one tabs (along with Lidl salt and rinse aid as we are in a hard water area) and had problems with glasses getting marked an / or cloudy. We've been using Lidls own brand tablets (again 5 in 1 with their own salt and rinse aid) and have absolutely no problems at all.
  • phltrnr
    phltrnr Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 17 June 2016 at 8:41AM
    Options
    Found on the Internet (aroundwine dot co dot uk):
    "A dishwasher is safe to use as long as you take the following into account.
    If your glass is leaded, heat and water bring lead oxide out of glass. This is one of the reasons glass can go cloudy over time.
    1. Never soak lead crystal.
    2. Use a cool quick wash.
    3. Only wash glass with glass – never plates and cutlery. Food particles are the other reason glass may go cloudy.
    4. Use a fine particle or better modern gel dishwasher detergent.
    5. Use a glass protector, which is now in many brands of detergent.
    6. Ensure you have the correct level of salt and rinse aid added to your machine. Even when using modern 5 in 1 tablets.
    To wash glasses by hand:
    1. Wash under warm water. Very dilute detergent is only needed if there is food or lipstick stains on the rim.
    2. Place upside down on a cloth to dry.
    3. For extra shine, steam over boiling water then use a polishing cloth.
    4. Hold glass by the base and polish the stem and base.
    5. Use your left hand to cradle the bowl and polish bowl with your right hand never twist the base and bowl.
    6. Never wash/polish glasses after you have had a drink!"
    We shall not allow the fear of going mad to make us keep the banner of imagination at half-mast.
  • givememoney
    givememoney Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I had cloudy wine glasses so decided to give up washing them in the dishwasher and started to go back to washing them by hand. After a few weeks of doing this I find they are no longer cloudy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure