PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help for cloudy wine glasses!

Options

Comments

• tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Options
    Do dishwashers work properly with no detergent in them? I was going to suggest trying an expensive product, like Finish quantum, but if you don't like detergent at all that's not so much help.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    puddy wrote: »
    I have no idea. I never use the damn thing! I dont know about the settings we may have to check it. I assume he uses the rinse aid and salt as its often on the shopping list??

I never let my OH load the dishwasher!!

He thinks he can get twice as much in as me and I think that is a recipe for disaster!

As someone else posted never put your glasses in the bottom and make sure they are not touching each other in the top rack and yes clean out the filter at least weekly.Also sometimes the holes in the spray arms can get glogged.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,003 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    [/COLOR]

yes, but these are modern glasses - and in the bars where I worked we didnt use detergent! just hot water!

So are the OP's... new glasses..

And deterrgent is compulsory in bars etc here (we know lots of owners and employees!)

*food traps* should be cleaned each use.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Options
    to me it seems as if things are all jammed in there together, i have a non stick wok which i have seen go from pristine (my ownership) to scratched and scraped. I can only assume its from the dishwasher where things are up against the inside.

but i wouldnt know as i dont understand these things and he 'always' knows best
  • Dawning
    Dawning Posts: 498 Forumite
    Options
    puddy wrote: »
    to me it seems as if things are all jammed in there together,

That sounds like the problem. The damage you describe is exactly the damage that can be done if the glasses are touching on the top rack- the action of the water causes them to rub against each other.
  • Aless
    Aless Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    If cloudiness is a problem you need to use salt additionally to any three or five in one tablets. For years we had cloudiness and I couldn't stand it, then we started using separate salt and it sorted it out straight away.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had a dishwasher and it was FANTASTIC on everything, a wee work top Bosch. Never once did I get a cloudy glass or chipped mug or plate

Now my mother has a full sized Bosch in the kitchen and I have refused to allow her to put in any glasses or cups that I have bought after having to throw out numerous glasses for clouding and scratching and mugs with a wee square nick out of the rims

Go figure
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    My Bosch doesn't damage glasses we use rinse aid and salt alongside Finish whatever is on offer when we need some...we tend to load it over afew days then run it we don't ever put wooden chopping boards in or Crystal glasses...
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our solution is to buy cheap glasses and put up with cloudiness - they are clean, just not pretty! Could you have separate everyday and 'nice' glasses, and only wash the 'nice' glasses by hand?
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Options
    i dont trust him to remember what should be done by hand, he seems to just bung it all in.

i dont want cloudy glasses though, even if they are cheap. i dont like them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure