PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help for cloudy wine glasses!

Options

Comments

• puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Options
    I didnt have a dishwasher until I moved in with my OH. He wont consider hand washing up and when I do it by hand, takes the stuff Ive washed off the draining rack and puts it back in the dishwasher.

Various things have been ruined since, all because of the dishwasher (IMO). It has taken some time for him to learn that not everything is dishwasher proof and hopefully the ruined wooden chopping board, travel mugs (x5) and various baking dishes have shown him that!

However, one thing that is irking me is that I have had to throw away several sets of glasses because they have very quickly become scratched and 'frosty', really scruffy and unsightly. He seems to put stuff in there a lot and Ive noticed he will have a glass of water, and put it straight in the dishwasher so they are going in a lot.

we have virtually no glasses left and Im sick of it, but dont want to buy any more because they will quickly be ruined. What do other people do? I cant bear things getting ruined and have successfuly kept things in pristine condition when I lived alone. Contrast that to various broken things, chipped plates, mugs, transfer coming off my favourite mugs etc etc.

Does this happen to you if you use dishwashers or is the one we have (Bosch slimline)?
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    Most modern glasses are dishwasher safe (they are coated with a protective layer). sadly, if he has ruined glasses they are prob pre 1970s or earlier and worth good money.
    I dont have a dishwasher - no room and tbh when I have been to friends I can smell the detergent on the dishes and it puts me off eating from them. not friends fault - I just have a hyper sense of smell.
    Old glass isnt coated and doesnt fare well in the dishwasher. anything engraved shouldnt be put in there - anything with a pontil mark in the base shouldnt be either. crystal definately shouldnt be put in dishwasher! in fact I wouldnt wash any glass other than cheap modern stuff!
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just what on earth are you doing to them!!!!

I never have a problem with my dishwasher.

Are you using the correct setting and making sure it is loaded properly?
    Also do you add rinse aid and salt on a regular basis.Even if you use the three in one tablets if you live in a hard water area you still need to add them as well(as advised to me by a dishwasher engineer).
  • littleminx_2
    littleminx_2 Posts: 475 Forumite
    Options
    Same problem here puddy, all my glasses are scratched and look unsightly since i 've been using a dishwasher. My friends and family have reported the same.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi puddy,

I've never owned a dishwasher so can't offer advice but these threads may help:

Help for cloudy wine glasses!

Dishwasher verses Washing-up

I'll add your thread to the first link later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,002 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Keep the filters clean and clear.. it sounds like they are getting coated in the manky silty deposits from dirty pipes! It should be run through a hot cleaning cycle at least once a month.

Keep the rinse aid and salt topped up.. Don't use finish products as they leave a scummy deposit on everything when washed at anything below 60'

Get one of the 'ruined' glasses and scrub it .. if it doesn't come back to normal I'd reckon it was that the DW was not being loaded properly.. Glasses shouldn't be put in the bottom at all.

It won't be the DW's fault the glasses are ruined.. look how often glasses go through DW's in bars and restaurants!!!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »
    Keep the filters clean and clear.. it sounds like they are getting coated in the manky silty deposits from dirty pipes! It should be run through a hot cleaning cycle at least once a month.

Keep the rinse aid and salt topped up.. Don't use finish products as they leave a scummy deposit on everything when washed at anything below 60'

Get one of the 'ruined' glasses and scrub it .. if it doesn't come back to normal I'd reckon it was that the DW was not being loaded properly.. Glasses shouldn't be put in the bottom at all.

It won't be the DW's fault the glasses are ruined.. look how often glasses go through DW's in bars and restaurants!!!

yes, but these are modern glasses - and in the bars where I worked we didnt use detergent! just hot water!
  • puddy
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    Most modern glasses are dishwasher safe (they are coated with a protective layer). sadly, if he has ruined glasses they are prob pre 1970s or earlier and worth good money.
    I dont have a dishwasher - no room and tbh when I have been to friends I can smell the detergent on the dishes and it puts me off eating from them. not friends fault - I just have a hyper sense of smell.
    Old glass isnt coated and doesnt fare well in the dishwasher. anything engraved shouldnt be put in there - anything with a pontil mark in the base shouldnt be either. crystal definately shouldnt be put in dishwasher! in fact I wouldnt wash any glass other than cheap modern stuff!

these are all modern glasses,,, all bought either in the last 10 years (mine which have been ruined) or in the last 2 years, which have now been ruined

totally agree about the dishwasher scent, i cannot bear it, but he insists on using it, puts stuff in there despite me asking him not to and does it before I can get to him
  • puddy
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Just what on earth are you doing to them!!!!

I never have a problem with my dishwasher.

Are you using the correct setting and making sure it is loaded properly?
    Also do you add rinse aid and salt on a regular basis.Even if you use the three in one tablets if you live in a hard water area you still need to add them as well(as advised to me by a dishwasher engineer).

I have no idea. I never use the damn thing! I dont know about the settings we may have to check it. I assume he uses the rinse aid and salt as its often on the shopping list??
  • puddy
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »

it doesnt seem to be a deposit, it seems actually etched and scratched into the glass.

one of my pyrex baking dishes is starting to show these signs which ive had for many years, probably 20 or so, i thought they were indestructable
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure