We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Does anyone else make their own clothes

1…2829313334…126

Comments

  • rlm_3
    rlm_3 Posts: 157 Forumite
    Hi

    I think this thread is a great source of information for people like me who never learnt to sew at school (I think we were taught to thread a machine and sew a straight line but that's about it - I was at high school at about the time home economics turned into food technology).

    Anyway, just wanted to share my endeavour - a skirt, my first ever item of clothing that I made myself (with my mum's expert help). I was a very simple pattern really but the sense of achievement you get from making something yourself is huge. It's really good to know that no-one else has a skirt like mine :j

    Would definitely agree with the vanity sizing in shop-bought clothes. I'm normally a size 10. After measuring me up we decided I was a 12 for the skirt pattern. It was a good job I tried on the yoke before sewing the whole skirt though as it was still too small. I had to unpick the seams and make them 2/8" smaller. Too many Easter eggs, me thinks! :rotfl:
  • Hello, and welcome gilliana and rlm. That's great rlm, hope you get hours of enjoyment out of your skirt - that's one of the reasons I sew, because I hate meeting my twin walking up the road wearing my shop bought clothes. (not that that has happened for many a year but you know what I mean).

    Mrs F x
  • rlm_3
    rlm_3 Posts: 157 Forumite
    Hello, and welcome gilliana and rlm. That's great rlm, hope you get hours of enjoyment out of your skirt - that's one of the reasons I sew, because I hate meeting my twin walking up the road wearing my shop bought clothes. (not that that has happened for many a year but you know what I mean).

    Mrs F x

    The other satisfying thing about it is that my mum and I worked out that it probably cost less to make than a similar skirt would in a shop because it's made out of tafetta.
  • rlm wrote: »
    The other satisfying thing about it is that my mum and I worked out that it probably cost less to make than a similar skirt would in a shop because it's made out of tafetta.


    Yay, even better :T and you also might be able to reduce the cost of the pattern by making it up again in a different kind of fabric now that you have a skirt that fits you.
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 931
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Afternoon all :)

    Great thread !! I'm normally a curtain and bedlinen, cushions type sewer. But, as a result of this I've been to Abakhan Fabrics and after some trial and a lot of error, I've finally finished a skirt! Ok, so the pattern said 2hrs and in reality it took about 2wks, but I did run away from it on several occasions!

    I had to put in a lapped zip, never having done one before, and interfacing on a waistline, which I'm still not convinced I've done right, but there ya go.

    I went to the library yesterday and got out the Readers Digest guide to sewing ... absolutely brilliant :)

    Now of course I'm just going to have to make something else!!! As practice makes better fitting clothes, LOL!
    GC - March 2024 -
  • Zed42 wrote: »
    Afternoon all :)

    Great thread !! I'm normally a curtain and bedlinen, cushions type sewer. But, as a result of this I've been to Abakhan Fabrics and after some trial and a lot of error, I've finally finished a skirt! Ok, so the pattern said 2hrs and in reality it took about 2wks, but I did run away from it on several occasions!

    I had to put in a lapped zip, never having done one before, and interfacing on a waistline, which I'm still not convinced I've done right, but there ya go.

    I went to the library yesterday and got out the Readers Digest guide to sewing ... absolutely brilliant :)

    Now of course I'm just going to have to make something else!!! As practice makes better fitting clothes, LOL!

    Crikey you lot are putting me to shame this week :o I haven't even started on sewing my jacket yet, despite all my best intentions.

    I never think the 2hr claims are very believable, Zed42, especially if you're not very sure of what you're doing to begin with and as I always have to alter the patterns out of all recognition AND have copious coffees and cuddles with the cat every step of the way I think your 2 week timeline is completely understandable :rotfl:

    I think the Readers Digest book is excellent, too. You can often find it in second hand book shops and charity shops so worth looking out for a cheap copy if you can.

    Mrs F x
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    champys wrote: »
    I have raved about this book earlier in this thread - see if you can get it from your library: 'every sewer's guide to the perfect fit'.

    I've just ordered this from Amazon. They had 8 copies ranging in price from £5.99 to £30.69! Needless to say I ordered the cheapest! :D
  • Mariel
    Mariel Posts: 624
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Zed42 - I've seen that book in a few charity shops recently for about £1.50 - I always have to check even though I've got it myself! Worth a look.
  • C1aire
    C1aire Posts: 273 Forumite
    I have the Reader's Digest Guide to Sewing as well. i find it really useful to use alongside the pattern instructions if I am doing something complicated.

    The sewing machine has had a rest recently in favour of the crochet hook, but I ordered some cheesecloth from Abakhan's a while ago, so a kaftan is on the horizon. Have been good so far - am in Liverpool for a few days and have resisted the urge...

    Mrs F - cuddles with the cat? Lucky you. Mine just steal the bobbin off the machine so I spend half my time chasing them and festooning the living room in cotton in the process!
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.
  • C1aire wrote: »
    I have the Reader's Digest Guide to Sewing as well. i find it really useful to use alongside the pattern instructions if I am doing something complicated.

    The sewing machine has had a rest recently in favour of the crochet hook, but I ordered some cheesecloth from Abakhan's a while ago, so a kaftan is on the horizon. Have been good so far - am in Liverpool for a few days and have resisted the urge...

    Mrs F - cuddles with the cat? Lucky you. Mine just steal the bobbin off the machine so I spend half my time chasing them and festooning the living room in cotton in the process!

    C1aire I discovered that DS21 had VISITED Abakhan and NOT TOLD ME :rotfl: :rotfl: !! Still, at least he knows where it is now, I feel a visit to the dear boy at uni is on the cards.....

    Our cat, bless her, is getting on in years and is unbelievably spoilt. She likes to sit on my shoulder like a furry parrot which of course makes everything like sewing, typing, breathing, moving etc almost impossible. Luckily she also likes to snooze during the day so I have to pick my moment to sew. She has never snatched the bobbin off my machine although she loves it when I trace off patterns, mark fabric etc, as it's her duty to burrow under the fabric, pounce on the threads, claw the tissue paper to shreds, etc etc. Wouldn't have her any other way though :D

    Mrs F, who has actually sewn the darts on the jacket (just to keep it on topic)!!
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.