I Want 2 cut my NTL bill. What is 1899?

fuzzgun19
fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Hi there,

I am on NTL cable and would like to try to cut my bill, as I'm currently receiving benefits.
I didn't think I could switch suppliers as I thought that only applied to a BT line(which would cost me lots to have installed).
I have seen a thread where someone mentioned '1899' and that you can get cheaper calls if you're on cable.

I'm currently paying with NTL -
'Talk unlimited 24' £14.50pm + calls
Caller display £1.75pm
'family pack' television(includes line rental) £30.00pm
Internet £17.99pm

Totalling £64.24 per month

Could anyone explain how 1899 works and are there any catches?
Also any other phone bill cutting suggestions would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance!
I Hate Jobsworths!!!

Comments

• Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    First thing I would suggest you do is read this thread, then make that call ;)

You do have to be persistant, don't accept the first offer as you will see from reading the thread, NTL will be keen to keep you and you should be able to half your monthly bill to NTL.
  • fuzzgun19
    Im not very good at complaining, and if I called the 'disconnections' line, they might say "ok, thats fine we'll disconnect you" which I dont want.

Is there anything else I can say rather than complaining about the price?
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • deefadog
    deefadog Posts: 2,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am in the same boat :)

I am going to call them tonight, don't just ask to be disconnected, ask to talk to someone about your bills (not sure which departement), then explain you can get cheaper elsewhere, take notes of all cost i.e talk talk etc and ask them if they can match or better it , they are bound to match it at least i would imagine!

Also new customers get everything for £30 a month at the moment, so tell them this and you want the same!

Good luck
  • fuzzgun19
    I've just called NTL and changed my phone package to the standard one saving £5.75 per month, and I asked if they had any cheaper TV packages as I am looking to cut my bills and the guy offered me an £11 per month discount on my current package to run for 12 months!

I'm very pleased with this as its saved me £16.75 per month.

Does anyone know about or used the 1899 thingy as I'm assuming this might cut my phone bill further?

Hope to hear from someone in the know!
    :o
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • stuartw101
    stuartw101 Posts: 381 Forumite
    My mum pays about £100 a month, we have tv, phone and internet. Do you think we can get any money off? We dont want to change any packages but just to get a discount.
  • fuzzgun19
    stuartw101 wrote:
    My mum pays about £100 a month, we have tv, phone and internet. Do you think we can get any money off? We dont want to change any packages but just to get a discount.
    You could always try what I just did and say you are looking at ways to cut your bills and would like to know if theres any discounts available.
    Or you could mention that You're thinking of getting a freeview box - that might work!
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • stuartw101
    stuartw101 Posts: 381 Forumite
    fuzzgun19 wrote:
    You could always try what I just did and say you are looking at ways to cut your bills and would like to know if theres any discounts available.
    Or you could mention that You're thinking of getting a freeview box - that might work!

Yeah i will try that, im gonna have to find out what packages my mum is on. So how much did you save and how much were you paying before? I would of thought they would give me a good discount as we are payiong so much a month.
  • pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    fuzzgun19 wrote:
    Does anyone know about or used the 1899 thingy as I'm assuming this might cut my phone bill furth

See https://www.call1899.co.uk and look at how to use it from NTL.
    PF.
  • April2
    April2 Posts: 508 Forumite
    fuzzgun19 wrote:
    I've just called NTL and changed my phone package to the standard one saving £5.75 per month, and I asked if they had any cheaper TV packages as I am looking to cut my bills and the guy offered me an £11 per month discount on my current package to run for 12 months!

I'm very pleased with this as its saved me £16.75 per month.

Does anyone know about or used the 1899 thingy as I'm assuming this might cut my phone bill further?

Hope to hear from someone in the know!
    :o
    Well done. So, on the telephone side, you're now paying just £10.50 line rental to NTL.

However, even if you avoid all calls to 09xx, 084x, 087x, 070x and calls to mobiles (i.e. just make calls to UK 01/02 numbers), all calls except local weekend calls (which have no connection charge) are subject to a 5p call connection charge and you'll be paying 3p/minute weekdays, 2p/minute evenings and 1p/minute at weekends (0p/minute for local calls). That's the same as BT weekdays but, for most calls (except those local weekend calls) is more expensive than BT's 5.5p for up to an hour evenings and weekends.

The saving is to be had by routing ALL your calls to UK 01/02 numbers via call1899.co.uk's 0808 1 708708 number - on which they'll cost you 3p per call (not per minute) regardless of when you make them or how long you chat - and save you a fortune.
    Their - possessive pronoun (owned by them e.g. "They locked their car").
    They're - colloquial/abbreviated version of 'They are'
    There - noun (location other than here e.g. "You can buy groceries there") OR adverb (in or at that place e.g. "They have lived there for years") OR adverb (to or towards that place e.g. "Go there at noon") OR adverb (in that matter e.g. " I agree with you there").
  • deefadog
    deefadog Posts: 2,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Stuart, i thought NTL for new customers were doing internet,phone& tv for £30 per month! I can't imagine you make £70 in calls per month! so tell them this and you want the same!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure