Small overcharging problem with 18866...

Options
2»

Comments

• sweep9
    sweep9 Posts: 407 Forumite
    Options
    I've now checked up and you do not get charged via a BT line if the BT 1571 sevice answers. You only get charged if you don't hang up before it starts recording.

This is the same if you call via orange or vodaphone on their normal contracts.

On 18866, it charges you as the announcement starts as it classes that as the start of the call.
  • Smartasss
    Options
    sweep9 continued the argument with:
    I've now checked up and you do not get charged via a BT line if the BT 1571 sevice answers.

Could you say where you checked this?

This is from BT's electronic price list: (Section 2 Part 20)
    Calls that are answered by the BT Answer 1571 will be charged at normal rates.

You can spend many happy hours reading through it HERE
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've now checked up and you do not get charged via a BT line if the BT 1571 sevice answers. You only get charged if you don't hang up before it starts recording

This is wrong.

You get charged as soon as BT's 1571 service answers (not from when it starts recording)

Regards
    Sunil
  • FieryBlondeScot
    Options
    if its any consolation i found this out the hard way (must have cost me 25p in total ::)

i was trying to reach my gran in scotland and kept getting her answerphone, after the 5th or 6th attempt i started to get a bit worried as she is never on the phone for that long, so i kept dialling. unbeknown to me they were having storms up there and the phones were not working so all my calls were going straight to her answerphone. when i checked my bill online i couldnt understand why id been charged for 25 almost consecutiive calls to her number :D

the problem her end now will be that me and my son are always on the net, and so if she calls me she will get my answerphone (i think) ad will also get charged min rate

still....knowledge is power and i know now ;D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family