PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

horrible taste from new kettle.

Options

Comments

• A.E.PETERS
    Options
    I have purchased a new kettle a week or so ago, and gave it a good rinse. I have boiled it through a number if times but drinks still have a plastic taste to it.

Can any one recommed a way to get rid of this taste? Is bi-carb or vinager the way to go?

Thanks.
    put 2 sterradent tablets in the kettle use a bottle brush scrub all round the lid and inside let it boil switch it off before it boils scrub again while hot make sure you scrub all the plastic bits then rinse boil once then continue to use as normal the plastic may have some of the residue left on from the moulding we have bought 2 new kettles and since i have cleaned with the sterradent we have had no taste
  • Martyn_F_2
    Martyn_F_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I have also just bought a new kettle - stainless steel. Tasted awful until I remembered the professional solution - Chempro. Sold where brewing and wine making kits are sold it is a safe chemical to clean and deodorise plastic, stainless steel, aluminium, glass and ceramics. It is very economic and well worth having in the kitchen cupboard. A warm solution takes just twenty minutes to do the job - no more expensive multiple kettle boiling. Just follow the instructions.
  • Pikkapen
    Options
    This may be a repeat of an old question, but both my latest kettles have had a taste of TCP - yuk! I will try the bi-carbonate of soda in a boiling kettle, then rinse it out and hope for the best - and a decent cuppa!
  • alsibk
    Options
    New kettle, attractive, great styling, water tastes horrible?
    Remove and throw away the filter (find it behind the spout)
    Worked for us.
    Hope it does for you.
  • maggoo2
    Options
    At last I have been able to have a nice cup of tea! We are on our third kettle. We tried a plastic one, a metal kettle and now another metal kettle. We tried the bicarb method, the white vinegar method, with all of the kettles and none of them solved the problem. I then found this method, 1 teaspoon of salt dissolved in a litre of water and then boiled in the kettle. I then rinsed it out and boiled a kettle of water and discarded this. I had to repeat this once but I was then able to have a lovely cup of tea----at last!!! (I think I read it has something to do with the chlorine in the water)
  • Brodlots
    Options
    Most horrible metalic taste from my lovely,sylish,glass kettle. The bicarb option did not work but I followed the advice of Alsibk and removed the metal filter behind the spout and then did as Magg002 suggested with the salt solution and...A PERFECT CUP OF TEA!! Gone is the nasty metallic taste.Thank you both so much!!
  • cherydee
    cherydee Posts: 752 Forumite
    Options
    Got the same problem with a new Breviile stainless steel kettle bought last week, awful taste.
  • goforgold58
    goforgold58 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 February 2015 at 10:41AM
    Options
    Must be something to do with the cheap way these kettles are being manufactured as I have a similar problem!!

Recently I bought a Breville and only after a few weeks that 'taste' started up, without any build up in the kettle. I did the vinegar/bicarb and it was ok for a few weeks, but this weekend I can taste that horrible taste in the drinks. Again, no build up inside the kettle.

What I don't understand is, until this last kettle, that nasty taste only happened when there was a real build up inside the kettle.

Just remembered the note on here about taking the filter out - just done that and am also doing a 'clean', so will see what happens over the next few weeks!

Thinking about it, it could well the be the filter as the vinegar/bicarb obviously only cleans that part when emptying after the clean !!

Will let you know !!
  • Roller3
    Options
    I followed all the usual advice about boiling 3 times,(more like 20 times) and then using bi-carb, all to no avail. After a week of trying I was about to take the kettle back (as advised by Breville Customer Services) but I have finally cracked it by scrubbing the kettle out with hot water and Fairy Liquid, then boiling up the soapy water, discarding it and rinsing until all soap has gone - much like for a new saucepan.
    Hey presto! No plastic chemical taste at long last!
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My coffee tastes of bicarb, is there a solution?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport