'Hugh's Chicken Run' A Moral Dilemna for DFWs?

Options

Comments

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    rog2 wrote: »
    Why? Was he a pig breeder as well? :confused: :rotfl: :rotfl:

He's an everything breeder - building a better idiot too...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    Someone once suggested that Tesco should run the country, but, in my opinion, they already do. :mad: :mad:

It used to be Sainsbury's...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    He's an everything breeder - building a better idiot too...

I thought he was long dead, Zed. Goodnight. :beer:
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • rog2
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It used to be Sainsbury's...

Until they got Jamie Oliver on board.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

• rog2
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    cinnabar wrote: »
    My own feelings on this is that most people, given the chance to buy a chicken that has been treated badly or one that has had a nice life would go for the latter IF THEY WERE THE SAME PRICE. In my fairly extensive experience of both battery and free-range meat, free-range IS better quality - but of course if you're on a low budget (and even if you're not) there is a trade-off going on when you buy the product - is it worth it to you to spend the extra money to give a chicken better quality of life if it's ending up in exactly the same place as a battery one? Is the extra quality worth it? This is an individual decision, and I think programmes like this can make people feel guilty, but at the same time they can bring to people's attention something of which they were previously unaware. Maybe it could be said that it's unfair to those who can't afford the choice to make them feel guilty about buying the less-ethical product, but to be honest I think it's good for people to have some understanding of how the food they're eating is produced.

Excellent post, cinnabar - thanks.

• ZTD
    Options
    cinnabar wrote: »
    is it worth it to you to spend the extra money to give a chicken better quality of life if it's ending up in exactly the same place as a battery one? Is the extra quality worth it?

One of the points that many people miss is that food is different from every other product. Unlike a pair of trainers, food will actually *become* us and the people we feed it to.

That puts a different slant on the quality aspect. A better life means a better chicken which means a better us.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    I thought he was long dead, Zed.

But his awards live on - building a better idiot...
    Goodnight. :beer:

:wave:
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • neverdespairgirl
    Options
    We buy the 2 for £5 chickens, as opposed to the Free Range birds which can cost in excess of £7 each - should we feel guilty? :confused:

Yes, in my opinion. For years, we have only bought free range meat, but less of it. On a tight budget, I reckon there's a moral imperative to eat less meat rather than eat cruel meat.
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • rog2
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, in my opinion. For years, we have only bought free range meat, but less of it. On a tight budget, I reckon there's a moral imperative to eat less meat rather than eat cruel meat.

Thank you for your honest answer. I think we do tend to 'gorge' on the cheap meat - my mum could make a 'pound of beef' feed 6 and still have some left for sandwiches on Monday.

• dizzy_lizzie
    dizzy_lizzie Posts: 2,952 Forumite
    Options
    It's a justification. But there is another one: Have a feel at the teeth either side of your incisors. They canines, and they are only found in the mouth of meat eaters, because their only use is in eating meat. It takes many thousands of years for a new tooth to be developed, so we've been eating meat for at least long enough for our bodies to have changed design for it.quote]

Will post the physiological comparisons between meat-eater, herbivore and human tomorrow. This shows that we are designed more akin to a herbivore and not a meat eater. Just for now, a meat eaters intestinal tract is 3 times its body length so rapidly decaying meat can pass out quickly. A herbivores is 10-12 times it's body length and a humans is 12 times its body length.
    Also in a meat eater it has strong hydrochloric acid to digest meat. A herbivores and humans is 20 times less than a meat eaters.
    Off to bed now.
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member no:219
    In the Court Of The Crimson King
    I don't believe in the concept of hell, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals.
    Gary Larson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport