We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

EU-Roaming with Mozillion and Spusu

TMSG
TMSG Posts: 261
Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite

We've just returned from a 6-week trip from the Baltics/Finland. Plenty of time and opportunity to check roaming with the two SIMs in my wife's phone.

Data was fine with both. We had a feeling that Spusu was quicker in getting a connect and also somewhat faster once connected. Both SIMs gave us a mix of LTE/5G and I couldn't see any consistent pattern. Interestingly, though Estonia is billed as the Digital King, the mobile speeds were often a little disappointing when compared to LT or LV. Finland was the fastest.

Now calling. Moz only includes local calls (ie LT to LT) and calls back to the UK in its roaming whereas Spusu supports full roaming (ie LT to FI or to FR etc). Well, Moz was a disaster anyway. We had booked the whole trip with AirBnB accommodation and often we had to call the hosts on arrival to get the check-in details. In all four countries we had repeated problems with Moz to connect to local numbers (UK numbers worked), often receiving recorded messages in the local patois (which we didn't understand) probably giving us some explanation or hint as to why it didn't work. Spusu had no such problems and if we hadn't brought that SIM with us we would have been in big trouble.

SMS was a similar picture. Some texts would go through with Moz but many just wouldn't. Again, Spusu was fine.

Last but not least I have a global eSIM from Eskimo in my Pixel and in my (pretty limited) tests this worked well.

Moz was fine for data (which is good as we have a 100GB/month deal with them) but Spusu was much more reliable overall. If only they could once and for all resolve the non-arriving OTP codes problem…

Comments

  • mazjohn108
    mazjohn108 Posts: 56
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Very interesting as I am out of contract with EE and looking to change. I want roaming included and was thinking of going with Spusu but not if there is still a problem with OTP codes. Back to the drawing board!

  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 5,042
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    My EE contract is coming to an end. I object to staying around for outrageous annual price rise on top of an expensive service.

    I travel quite a bit, so roaming is important to me.

    I'm leaning towards 1p mobile or Talk Home (both on EE).

    My wife's on 1p and roaming has worked flawlessly.

  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 3,242
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 10 October at 9:59AM

    I am with 1p Mobile and it has worked well for me in Spain and Jersey. You get a max of 14 GB of "EU" roaming data (EU plus Channel Is and I of Man). I use their non contract, 30 day rolling arrangement. Data speeds here in the UK are about the same as EE. In direct side by side comparison between 1p and EE I was seeing typically 100 Mb/s down and 10 to 20 Mb/s up on 5G, that is in our rural village… The nearby site is not a proper 5G one, like most it is bolted on a 4G back end. 1p of course uses the EE network.

  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 21,916
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite

    Yes we've used 1p mobile all over the EU and it's always been fine, we usually only need a few GB so just buy a 1/3/5 GB boost for a few £ on my phone and use a hotspot if my wife needs data.

  • samtaylor99
    samtaylor99 Posts: 46
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I've been using Spusu for about a year now - moved from 1p mobile. Frequent trips to Spain without issue and no problems with UK use at all. I had read about the OTP issues prior to moving to Spusu but I have yet to experience this. I mainly use banking OTP's in the UK and Spain and they all arrive as expected - is this the OTP problem others are experiencing ?

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.