We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

SIXT Car Hire firm

Booked in England to hire a SIXT car from Belfast City Airport. Form said for over 25yrs & 3+ years of driving. On collection of car all listed documents were checked ok, BUT hire refused because I and my co-driver were over 80. Nothing mentioned about upper age on booking form. Agent said it was in the T&Cs. These turned out to be different for NI.

When I read these 22 pages of T&C I found on page 11 a one line entry 'max 75yrs for NI'

So agent cancelled the hire. I asked for pre-paid money back but was told 3-5 days as we can't do it from here. Three days later my credit card was debited with an amount £3.61 less than I paid on booking 3 months earlier. When I emailed Sixt (a robot) replied

“We’ve  received your message and we are already on the case and will get back to you as soon as we can” Nothing more was heard so I phoned on the number shown only to be told the account is marked as refunded. I asked how much did you pay me (knowing what it was) and the reply was I can't tell you that. You will need to email the office. When I emailed again I was asked for proof, which I sent as a screenshot of the entry on my CC account. "We are busy at this peak time and there may be some delay in response"

I replied that you took my money at a peak time so I would like it back at this peak time.

Now some 21 days after the cancellation date I have still not received a full refund.

Be warned this car hire firm is awful. Avoid them like the proverbial.

Comments

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,142 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Less than 3 weeks to resolve a complaint about a partial refund may be optimistic. If you have exhausted all options with Sixt you can try a Section 75 claim with your credit card provider for the remainder.

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 5 October at 5:07PM

    So agent cancelled the hire. I asked for pre-paid money back but was told 3-5 days as we can't do it from here. Three days later my credit card was debited with an amount £3.61 less than I paid on booking 3 months earlier.

    In the absence of currency conversion, etc, it seems unlikely that a partial refund was accidental so it 's presumably possible that cancellation in such circumstances may not actually entitle you to a full refund, i.e. the small deduction could be something non-refundable like insurance premium tax or a percentage-based admin fee?

    Agent said it was in the T&Cs. These turned out to be different for NI.

    Were you issued with anything that suggested that the relevant Ts & Cs were anything other than those applicable in the country where the hire was to take place, e.g. did they send a link to GB terms perhaps?

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,137 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    Well without knowing what OP payed per day, S75 many not even be a option. & as @eskbanker mentioned, if cancelation on day of pick may mean a % of deposit losst

    Life in the slow lane
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.