We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Non rip-off car hire companies

Bandy2023
Bandy2023 Posts: 125 Forumite
100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 5 October at 2:55PM in Flights, currency & car hire

Anyone come across car hire companies that don't pressure you into additional insurance policies and charges, and actually charge you what you've booked??

Really heartily fed up of shelling out loads more in Spain, arguing with operatives who just point pens at poorly worded policies on the counter, all while there's a million people behind you wishing you'd just move on ( and the operatives know it )

Last year it was Goldcar, the rental easily doubled in price because 'their policy has changed' etc etc.

I'd actually gladly pay more at the booking stage to guarantee no-hassle there.

Comments

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Are you prepaying when booking? When doing so I've always found that a firm but polite refusal to pay anything else at the desk has been successful, even with Goldcar…

  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Not had an issue with Zest - a UK based broker.

    If I don't need a car immediately hiring locally in resort or at the hotel can be less stressful.

  • Bandy2023
    Bandy2023 Posts: 125 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 5 October at 3:05PM

    I usually refuse as well, I usually take out my own excess policy.

    However, last year their "change of policy" was that they would block in inordinate sum on my credit card unless I took their insurance.

    The booking said something like Euros 1500 would be blocked on your card, their 'change of policy' , which was all over their desks and just lazily pointed at, was a block of something like Euros 3000

    But if you took out their insurance, the block came down to something like Euros 500.

    So I dare say most were just paying it rather an a huge block on their CC.

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Ah right, I thought your issue was that you were actually being charged more rather than an inflated hold being pre-authorised if not falling for the upsell.

    In such circumstances, assuming I have the headroom on a credit card, I'll just take the bigger hold rather than paying to reduce (or not to increase) it…

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.