We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Question regarding switching suppliers

kassy64
kassy64 Posts: 310
Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite

Hi, I have always been with Flogas for bulk LPG (8 years), this renewal they don't seem as competitive as others, so I am considering switching suppliers.

I currently have approx. 70% in my tank and my account is some £250 in credit. If I decide to switch how does the account get closed? Do Flogas estimate the amount of LPG in the tank and charge me for the gas at my current litre rate, minus the amount of credit in the account?

If that's the case I could have a hefty bill to find (albeit with a fairly full tank).

Any info gratefully received,

Edit - just checked my tank and its a 2,400 capacity tank so could owe them in region of £750 (yikes).

Thanks

Comments

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,979
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I think most people pay for their LPG as it's delivered, so they already own the gas in their tank.

    Are you on some sort of pay-as-you-go arrangement?

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • kassy64
    kassy64 Posts: 310
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes, it’s like a direct debit system (I pay £110 per month) same as you would have with electric or mains gas. I am in credit as coming out of summer, end of winter it’s normally in debit. The tank level is monitored by some fancy satellite gadget that sends readings back every 12 hours, and they come along when it gets down to 15-20% or so and occasionally in summer just for a top up. It works well, I just assumed all suppliers were the same.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,979
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Sorry that you've not had any replies from people with first-hand experience.

    Will Flogas give you a quote to sell you the gas currently in your tank? That at least would let you know how much you're going to have to fork out if/when you switch.

    There's a pinned thread on the forum whee people share their experiences with getting LPG quotes. If you take a look at that you'll see what sort of deals are on offer at present.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • kassy64
    kassy64 Posts: 310
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 6 October at 12:57PM

    I am presuming they would estimate the litres remaining in the tank and supply a final bill less my credit in the account. I have been shopping around and Avanti have given me a better 2 year quite but iit includes a possible 5p ‘operational cost’ surcharge per 6 months, so Im presuming that means in the 2nd year the price could be 15p -20p per litre higher.
    Because if this I am leaning towards sticking with Flogas.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,979
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    LPG Save (which is also Flogas) often give lower quotes than Flogas do (bizarre, I know). Have you tried them?

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • kassy64
    kassy64 Posts: 310
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Yes, they have quoted me 4p per litre under the initial Flogas direct offer to renew. Thanks for input.

  • kassy64
    kassy64 Posts: 310
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I have decided on sticking with Flogas, having read the t&c's from Avanti there are so many clauses to be careful of, I have just noticed one that states if you don't use 60% of the quantity of LPG you estimate when you sign up, they can bill you at 25p per litre for the shortfall. Although this sounds reasonable and unlikely to be relevant, but in my case the fact my tank is 3/4 now, plus if we have a very mild winter I could be clobbered for paying this excess if I don't use the committed amount of LPG. I understand they give a price based on consumption, but I really don't wish to be worrying whether I have reached the 60% usage annually.

  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,969
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I've never heard of the 60% rule before. Does anyone know if other suppliers impose this?

  • kassy64
    kassy64 Posts: 310
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I have just checked my Flogas contract that has come through and it states a specific minimum usage of 1200 litres per year. That is based upon my annual estimate of 2500 litres that I submitted.

    Not sure if that clause has been in my previous contracts with Flogas.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.