We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Disappearing Deals

Steaminboot
Steaminboot Posts: 35 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
edited 4 October at 12:51PM in Broadband & internet access
IMG_8887.jpeg IMG_8888.jpeg

Trying to sign up for this deal through the comparison page but as soon as you click through to Sky the price jumps to £25. Am I missing something ? Thats £100 extra over the 2 yr deal.
EDIT: Just noticed it says “Equivalent Monthly Cost “ so likely where I’m going wrong. Confusing though 🫤

Comments

  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 38,268 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 4 October at 12:51PM

    Have you tried looking at it on sky directly? Are you a new customer?

    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.
  • Steaminboot
    Steaminboot Posts: 35 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker

    yes, new customer. Actually called Sky earlier to ask about speed etc . Agent told me £25 and I said I had a deal through MSE for £21.67 🙃

  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 4,237 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 4 October at 12:55PM

    it is £25 a month , you then factor in the £80 reward card that makes the effective price £21.67 , it’s not £21.67 and then a £80 reward, if that were the case the effective price would be £18.34 , it’s the £80 reward card divided over the 24 months that makes the equivalent of a £3.33 per month discount, so obviously you pay £25 each month (plus the Sky annual increase ) then you get £80 back after the qualification period has elapsed.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,496 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Doesn't help looking at that deal on a phone, on a laptop browser the box giving details of the reward card is much more obvious.

  • MarzipanCrumble
    MarzipanCrumble Posts: 456 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Yes OP - actually very confusing!

    I think (and I may be totally wrong here) that it is all about the 'inducement' such as the £### gift card you will receive (as long as you rescue it from spam) in x number of months after you have signed up. The gift card reduces the cost.

    I personally really don't like these inducement deals. Busy life, you forget. You don't do anything about it. (Yes, some do but I bet a lot don't, and no, I don't have evidence of that).

    Off topic but if you are looking to fix energy we have extra tarrifs that take 5% off the price cap - so not a fixed 12 month tarrif but one that fluctuates when the price cap changes - I think that is confusing!)

  • Steaminboot
    Steaminboot Posts: 35 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker

    Thanks to all. Yes, it does seem rather obvious now that I see it is actually explained in the box underneath 😬 However I guess there may be an argument for highlighting this in a strap at the top of the page perhaps. I’d probably still have missed it 😁

  • Worried_fool
    Worried_fool Posts: 283 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    It is better to do this kind of thing on a PC rather than a 'phone, so you see all the details.

    Something I had not realised about the inducement: if you want a physical card you pay a £5 delivery fee. So all that I have are card details that I can use for online and telephone purchases. Annoyingly, it is impossible to add it to my Apple wallet.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,496 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Is this the prepaid Mastercard? Couple of recent posts on here saying the physical cards are often refused by chip'n'pin terminals, with the added jeopardy of Three PIN Attempts and you're Out.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.