We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Scottish Widows/iWeb login problems

Just want to enquire if anyone else is having login problems with there iWeb now Scottish Widows account.

Every time I log in there are issues and I need to reset my credentials. I have tried the app and website - always coming up with unrecognised/incorrect login details - you reset them - the same thing happens. This has been going on for months - it occasionally lets me in but more often than not it doesn't - I don't have this issue with any other websites. I have been with them for years and have a substantial S&S ISA with them, but I am now seriously considering moving it to another provider.

Comments

  • Notepad_Phil
    Notepad_Phil Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I've been logging in a couple of times a week over the last month and there's been absolutely no problems for me. Similarly for Mrs Notepad.

    I was going to ask whether you tried had a different browser or gone incognito to see whether that works, but I see that you have the same issue with the App so a different browser/incognito is probably going to have the same issue.

    Have you contacted them to see what they say?

  • MrWannabe
    MrWannabe Posts: 31 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 3 October at 8:45PM

    Firstly, sorry for the lengthy post, but my experience with Scottish Widows this week has been a bit of a saga!

    I have had the the Scottish Widows app for almost 1yr (installed it when my employer switched the workplace pension scheme over to Scottish Widows) & over the past year, I have been using the app to view my pension (with no problems).

    Noticed a few days ago that within the Scottish Widows app, I was finally given the option of opening a ‘Scottish Widows Stocks & Shares ISA’ (i.e. what was previously iWeb, rather than the ‘Ready Made Investment’ ISA offering from Lloyds). Given the low fees on ‘Scottish Widows Stocks & Shares ISA’ (effectively zero for regular investments), I went ahead and opened an ISA, but the process has been and continues to be a challenge.

    The application process for the ‘Scottish Widows Stocks & Shares ISA’ was via the app, but it felt like the app was pulling through the application form from the web based service. Got towards the end of the application process on the app, but it ‘crashed’ & gave an error message of ‘something went wrong’. Tried applying via the app again, but at the end of the process, received a message along the lines of ‘you already have an investment investment/isa account, please log in’…but my existing credentials for the app are not working on the web based service & when I went through the application, I was not prompted to set up new credentials, as I was able to log in using the credentials that I have used for for the app for the past year!

    Pretty much gave up, but 24 hours later, a ‘Share Dealing’ tile appeared in the app (which, if clicked on, opens up a very basic looking ‘Share Dealing Account’ & ‘Stocks & Shares ISA’, with an account code…so despite the error message at the end of the application process, my application must have succeeded). But the user experience/interface via the app is terrible! It again feels like the web service is being shoehorned into the app…parts of data are not fully visible within the app & weirdly, within the app, it even states:

    ‘Important information

    Ready to start trading in our app?

    Manage your account in the app and start trading on the move today. Download the app.’

    ….with a link to download the app from the App Store….but I am already in the app! ARRGGGHH!

    I have tried to log in to the Web based service, but although my username & password are accepted, I cannot get past the security questions, as my answers are not accepted (even though I am providing correct answers). But thinking about it, when I went through the application for the ISA, I was not asked to provide answers for any security questions (& the questions I am being asked to answer are different to the security questions I answered last year)

    Plan to give Scottish Widows a call on Monday to see what can be done. Ultimately, if they cannot resolve the issue, I will simply not fund the account or set up the regular investment option via the app, as the UI is appalling. Also finding that when I click on the ‘Share Dealing’ tile in the app, the outcome is hit & miss…sometimes it will take me to the ISA/Share Dealing Account, but sometimes, it just gives a result of ‘something went wrong’


    Overall, I am starting to to lose confidence. Would expect better for a service with the backing of Lloyds Banking Group

  • savit4l8er
    savit4l8er Posts: 355 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I don't find the app that great but of three devices, two log in happily, one often requires resetting, they are all different versions of Android, the oldest has the problem and it won't receive any more updates.

    Out of interst, does this happen if you access SW using one device for web and app?

    Have you tried using a pc for web access and returned to the same the next time.

    Have you cleared all cookies and cache?That sometimes clears things up.

    I would try and discover if it's device related or an issue with your account before doing any more. If you can establish it's not device specific, that might help when you contact them.

    This might have been better suited to the techie section, it seems a bit off topic but I can understand you posted here as you have an ISA.

    Yeah, cheers but nah, I will stick with yes,  thank you and no. 

    Thank you. 
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 30,767 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I thought I'd give it a try today, given I hadn't logged in for ages, and it worked fine for me on desktop. I've not tried downloading and using the app.

  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 19,438 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I've not had any issues logging in but curiously when I was abroad I could login but going beyond the initial valuation page just gave an error. As soon as I returned home it was fine again.

    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.