We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Early retirement, given notice final thoughts and turmoil
Comments
-
Hi, reading and rereading the valued comments. So very much appreciated. They were very surprised and even asked how old I was, I didn’t mind but they thought I was mid fourties’, I’m 54.
My dh is retiring end of March and then thought me too. But have been wobbling and have days ref work which are boring, always back to back and full on but not entirely satisfying. I’m great at what I do. More time is needed and with health thoughts you never know what’s round the corner.
The idea of consulting or providing expertise is a real point to consider. Do not want to do 5 days work in 4 days and just dread it.
Do appreciate any more thoughts.
0 -
for me travel is a big part of my early retirement plan and dropping a day a week wouldn't make that any more achievable.
I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
& Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.1 -
”Do not want to do 5 days work in 4 days and just dread it.”
Yea, you have to be clear in your own mind, and make it clear to your employer that you will only be doing 4 days work.I made it a firm policy to NEVER turn the laptop on during my time off, and my Out of Office was similarly clear that I would not be available, giving alternative contacts.
Not sure how feasible that is in your “niche” area at this point, but it should have already formed part of your employer’s succession planning (or maybe not, if they thought you were 10 years younger than you are! 😂)
1 -
A couple of years ago I dropped from 37 hours a week to 27 hours. I didn't want to work a 4-day week for the reason previously mentioned, so I did it as three 9-hour days.
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.1 -
I would echo all the points already made - and really query what you will get from the arrangement to stay on at four days a week. It also depends on the relationship you have with your manager and peers. If that or they could change in the next 6-12 months then you could find yourself in a very different situation quite quickly.
Also, by saying you are/were going, the dynamic will likely have changed whether you believe it will, or won't. Maybe not with the people you expect, either.
I spent a long time pre-announcement, deciding all sorts of things and gave a much longer notice period than was needed, as I was also a bit in your position as rather niche. I was working a compressed hours week also in a project-like role. My Friday off was not always wholly mine, however much I tried. Partly that was me being too kind and amenable. You might be more disciplined.
2 -
Others have mentioned that a cliff edge retirement can be a shock to the system and a gentle glide (working 4 then 3 days a week) can make it an easier transition. But that does depend on what you want to do when you are retired. If you have current plans then why put them off? Especially if your OH is retiring at the same time and there are things you want to do together.
On that point I do remember a senior person at my old firm who carried on working a few days a week well into his 80s mainly because his wife wanted him out from under her feet.
1 -
Wouldn't you get better-informed comments from people who know you (and your husband) and the work you do? War stories from other people are never based on your situation, circumstances and so forth. That said, they can throw up useful comments, and the one I'd echo is the 'get paid for doing 5 days work in 4 days' scenario so beloved of employers, and rather less satisfactory for employees!
I am highly valued in niche role, there is never going to be a good time. They would like me to stay on possibly 4 days a week. I am in turmoil. Have a meeting Monday to give response.
…and the graveyards are full of indispensable people….at least this way they get time to plan.
Why do you need to give a response on Monday? If you're dithering and need more time, so say. If they refuse, you've got your answer as to just how valuable you really are to them. If they say yes, you can continue to vacillate - but you might stop and ask yourself what's changed since you made your decision. Very flattering that they are keen to keep you - but are you equally keen to be kept?
Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!2 -
You've given your employers a heads up and will work the required notice period. Why do you want to contact working 4 days a week? They are not suggesting this for your benefit, they are doing it for there's. Stick to your guns if retirement is what you want.
2 -
people leave for lots of reasons - find another job, moving away, retirement
people are made redundant for lots of reasons - ok maybe just one reason
in both cases the company will deal with it perfectly well. in the first situation you may convince yourself you’ll be missed. in the second you realise thats probably not true.
while you may be a valuable asset, and your immediate colleagues etc may miss you - and it might be some extra work for your management and HR to replace you - they’d do it for redundancy and they’d do it if you were moving for a better off. and they’ll do it this time.
I don’t mean this to downplay your sense of worth - only to emphasise that if you’ve done your numbers and they work - put yourself first.
2 -
Totally agree everyone is replaceable. And whilst I care dearly about the majority of the people, it’s is after a transaction of time/knowledge and cash.
The Monday piece came up after they said think about it nother 12 hours, and I said let’s see by Monday.
Really not a game play but was harder to do the notice meeting, which was the totally right way in this business to do it.
Really appreciate all the comments and whilst you all might be my internet people, your all in the. Insets which aid. Naturally talking at home and DH is keen that I do what suits me best, and that I have the choice. But I know overall he’ll say just retire and do what you want. 😍
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

