We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Early retirement, given notice final thoughts and turmoil
Comments
-
I dropped from 5 to 3 days a week this year. I committed to still doing 5 days work (to get the flexi request through), as I can do it in 1. Tested the water for redundo but unless something pays back in 5 minutes our company isn't interested.
Those 4 day weekends are incredible, even if I am pottering and not wiggling the mouse. No one should carried away with their importance at work, especially in larger orgs. Their business operated before you and will go on after. We can all reflect on the differences we have made, some may leave a legacy and we can all be proud of certain work achievements…but if it came to it you'd be out the door pronto if that is the way the cards fell.
I'll pack it in when the couple of office days become a drag and great to be in that position. It certainly shifts the mindset but I was hoping to be enjoying work a little more. I noted at the weekend that the younger generation coming through have less of a tolerance for the corporate BS, so it is not just as you get older.
5 -
Hmm. Give them enough material and they could generate Apricota AI and won't need to employ a replacement at all.
1 -
I have just done similar, gave 3 months notice out of the blue in July, my last ever full time working day is this Friday.
I got the MD to read my letter in front of me so i could explain what I'd like , and if I couldn't get close to that then I would need to leave!
I ended up getting more than i wanted , 2 days form this week till Xmas , a third day from home that would be flexible, from Jan, 2 days (Mon & Wed) until end of August - pro rata pay , keep the car (its worth it as its full electric and charged at work) until end of August.
Don't pay my bonus this financial year , do it in April (less earnt next tax year so benefits me) from that point see how we both feel!
You need to be fairly confident in your worth but be able to say no if it doesn't pan out.
I even told them I was setting my fixed term annuity in place so there was no going back!
The MD and FD's reaction (they're owning brothers) was, oh ok! , at least you're not going somewhere else! and we want to keep you onboard, and very accepting , I'll train and help my replacement , which may take 6 months or more! but be under no illusion I will not be looking at or reading mails or texts or phone calls when I'm not working!
For my own benefit I also booked a weeks holiday next week (doing nothing at all) just to have a clean break between those 2 parts of my life.
I can honestly say the last 6-8 weeks have been the most relaxing in 30 years, and I cannot wait! I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas day!
3 -
To update, as some never come back.
I did it, and it went well. They actually had come to the how would it be achieved realisation too. So higher level boss now know to. Boss concurs with my leave date and we will all work same as usual. Let’s see. I have pride and leaving door open. We are going to work out comms strategy also.
so retirement here I come!10 -
Glad it went well for you. The Comms strategy is important as it avoids wasting time with colleagues repeating the same information, and more importantly also informs customers and suppliers (where applicable) to agreed messaging, to avoid embarrassment and misunderstanding.
Thanks for starting a really interesting thread, too.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards