We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Laptop Wifi Issue

newatc
newatc Posts: 916 Forumite
Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

My Windows 11 laptop intermittently losing the internal wifi (the wifi adapter doesn't show under Device Manager when this happens. Probably happens 3 or 4 times a week and I need to restart the laptop (sometimes more than once) to fix.

There are times when this is extemely inconvenient . I have checked that I have the latest driver. So my plan is to purchase a USB wifi adapter but my question is if I do this will it co-exist with the internal wifi or will I need to disable the internal wifi.

Any answers/comments appreciated.

Comments

  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 8,637 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Is there a switch on the laptop for the WiFi? If so, could that be where the problem lies? Possibly not if the Device Manager doesn't even show it.

    I'd disable that WiFi (when it is showing) before trying to use an alternative.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Like most things in Windows you can have as many peripherals as you like of most types and that includes wireless cards.

    You'll probably only be able to use one wifi connection at a time though.

  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 916 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Victor - There is no switch, there is a function key but there is no way I would accidentally do that so many times.

    Seems, if I read Neil correctly, I can install the USB Wifi along side the internal one though perhaps have only one enabled at the same time .

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.