We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Best card to pay with
I need to pay over £10000 on a retirement holiday but the company do not accept Amex. I only have a debit card. I am worried about protection should something go wrong. What is the best way to make payment?
Comments
-
Credit card would be best, even if you only pay £100, so you get s75 protection. You can use your debit card for the rest.
Ultimately though your best protection for the vast majority of likely issues will be a comprehensive travel insurance policy purchased as soon as you book the holiday.
1 -
Use your debit card.
You have chargeback rights covering certain situations.
Life in the slow lane0 -
At the risk of asking the obvious, is the holiday available from any other suppliers? Or does this one accept Visa and Mastercard credit cards (and multiple payment methods, assuming you'd struggle to get a £10K credit limit on a new card)?
1 -
Most of Woodstok2000's post gives you the correct answers, but a minor correction, you don't need to spend £100 on the credit card, any amount will give you S75 protection, assuming that over £10000 is also under £30000.
0 -
It's academic anyway if OP's statement that "the company do not accept Amex" is taken at face value (as opposed to "the company do not accept full payment via Amex").
0 -
It's only academic if the OP doesn't apply for and get a non-AMEX credit card, and I would suggest that Woodstok2000's post implies that the OP should do that to get another credit card of some sort.
0 -
Just to sound a cynical note, which holiday company selling £10k holidays doesn't take Amex?
All of the major package operators and the well-known travel agencies do.
You'd need to be a pretty small operator to be worrying about the extra Amex cost.
0 -
But do remember these are controlled by the card issuer and are not enforceable rights unlike S75 rights which are legally enforceable in court.
1 -
Good point, I picked £100 as a random amount but in this case it could be anything from 1p to the full value.
0 -
thank you for the responses . The company is Cruise 1st so I agree it’s strange they don’t take Amex. As it is a large company and the holiday includes flights I believe I have greater protection
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

