We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Credit Report Query
I received an email yesterday saying that there had been a change to my credit report so I logged in to find out what it was. There was a line saying the following.
"A new opus public utility account will be added to your next report"
I thought this strange since I haven't opened any new accounts recently. I had to Google to find out what Opus was and emailed them to find out what was going on and got a reply this morning.
"Opus Utility Solutions is aware that its company name/or contact details are being used without authorisation in connection with utility accounts and credit reporting.
This activity is not associated with Opus Utility Solutions and is not a service we provide. We are investigating the matter with the relevant parties and taking steps to have the unauthorised use of our details addressed."
Is there a way to get this removed from my credit report as it has caused it to drop 66 points, which although isn't a major drop, but I don't know if it will affect me much considering I have an appointment tomorrow to see a mortgage adviser as I'm looking to buy a house.
Comments
-
Contact the credit agency and raise a dispute. Dont worry about your score, it is meaningless and not something any lender will look at. Addressing the underlying entry is the right thing to do.
1 -
Thank you for the response. Since I have had a response from the company, which sounds like they can't remove it. I have now raised a dispute through ClearScore for Equifax. Hopefully this can get remedied as soon as possible.
This is the first time this has happened to me and it's rather annoying.
1 -
Have you checked the other two reference agencies?
0 -
That's something I didn't think to do. Will have a look now.
0 -
I can't see any mention of this entry on Experian. It says my score updates in 17 days so maybe it will be added then?
Nothing on TransUnion as far as I can see either.
0 -
Often an issue, the consumer-side reports can often have a lag of up to a month-ish before items hit.
0 -
I got a reply from Equifax with my query but I'm not sure I understand what they are saying. Surely if Clear Score are reporting an upcoming change that must come from Equifax? Clear Score updates in 3 days so might need to see what it's saying then.
Thanks for getting in touch on 01/10/2026 about the information on your credit report.
The information regarding the Opus is not showing on the submitted credit report by ClearScore and not showing on our system. We cannot dispute any information that is not showing on our system and it might be an alert. The alerts that ClearScore provides to you are a series of regular updates based on changes to your credit report data. If there are any changes to your report, Clearscore will notify you either by email or push notification (alert). As your ClearScore Credit Report & Score are updated on a weekly basis you may, on occasion, receive an alert about information that will not be changed on your report until the next scheduled date.
If you need immediate access to an updated report upon receiving a ClearScore alert, Equifax can offer you access to your Equifax Statutory Credit Report online at https://registration.my.equifax.co.uk. If you've not had a myEquifax account in the past you'll first need to create one.
It’s important to remember that your ClearScore Credit Report is only updated weekly so it’s possible the data was updated after your current report was generated. You should be able to see the updated information on your next updated report from ClearScore.
I hope this answers your query. If there’s anything else we can help you with relating to this question, please don’t hesitate to get back in touch by updating this question in the box below.
0 -
This seems to be Octopus Energy reporting to Equifax for the first time. It will upload closed accounts as well.
0 -
From what I've read elsewhere, it's this.
There has been a screw up somewhere that has led to Octopus Energy accounts being misreported as "Opus Utility Solutions" by ClearScore (I wonder whether a wonderful new AI tool might be involved somewhere?!).And to concur with @Largs, old and closed Octopus Energy accounts have also been reported to Equifax.
All in all a successful exercise all round in getting people agitated and worried over nothing!
An example of the nonsense of 'credit scores' coming back to bite the pedlars of said scores on the posterior…1 -
Just got this email from Opus which did advise it was an Octopus Energy issue (which I was a previous customer of). So doesn't seem so bad now. Initially I thought it was someone trying to open accounts under my name.
Hello,
Opus Utility Solutions is aware that its company name and/or contact details are being used without authorisation in connection with utility accounts and credit reporting.
This activity is not associated with Opus Utility Solutions and is not a service we provide. The issue relates to Octopus Energy, who have logged the incident with Equifax and are investigating the matter.
If you have been affected or have any queries regarding this issue, please contact Octopus Energy directly, as they are handling the matter and can provide further assistance
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

