We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Ryanair flight compensation - am I entitled?
Hi everyone,
I was recently delayed 3 hours and 40 mins from fuerteventura to Manchester last week. Due to this delay I thought I might be able to claim compensation for myself and my partner so I put a request in to Ryanair, which they have rejected sighting bad weather which was the case for the incoming flight from Manchester to fuerteventura.
The problem I have is it wasn't just weather that caused a delay it was also the cabin crew refusing to let anybody board for over an hour after boarding passes had been scanned, this in tern created another hour and a half delay.
Would I be to claim compensation if its a case of 2 different reasons? If we would have left on time due to the weather delay I would of been back within the 3 hour minimum time window.
Thanks!
Comments
-
A few things…
- The delay is based on the arrival time (doors open time), and not the departure time.
- If you removed the weather it would be under the 3 hours.
0 -
I arrived back to Manchester 3 hours and 39 minutes past the original arrival time. Sorry I should of mentioned that!
0 -
If there has been a delay due to bad weather, everything following that is probably also down to the weather. The reason why the cabin crew couldn't let people on board is important, but in all likelihood it will have been a knock-on effect of the initial weather delay and so still not eligible for compensation.
0 -
Cabin crew dont refuse access just for kicks so you'd need to get to the bottom as to why access was denied
Case law does show a "but for" subtraction approach where there is a mix of causes for the delay, effectively take the total delay, subtract the delay caused by the extraordinary circumstances and if the remaining delay is above 3 hours then compensation is due.
Follow the complaint and escalation process
0 -
They wouldn't allow boarding due to sickness of one member of the cabin crew, who stormed off once the pilot agreed to fly with airport staff
0 -
"The pilot agreed to fly with airport staff"?
That makes no sense whatsoever. An airline can't just fly with the woman who did the check-in counter. Do you mean they were going to use an approved member of Ryanair crew based at FUE (I assume Ryanair is a crew base for them and the plane/crew were MAN based)?
0 -
They didnt say it was the check-in staff. Many Wetherspoons staff are trained pilots, maybe they took a barman!
0 -
Ha very good. So likely then a MAN based staff member became ill and the delay was due to them waiting for a FUE staff member to come in on standby to fly with the rest of the MAN based crew.
.In any case the weather delay will make up the bulk of the issue here so nothing due IMO.
2 -
The airport staff basically wanted to go home as we had been delayed to last flight leaving. She was the woman who scanned are boarding passes then had to wait as we all got stuck on the air Bridge to make sure we didn't leave the queue 😂
I presume they had enough staff for the flight to leave as I never saw another member of staff board the plane
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards