We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
All keys lost - price to fix more than doubled after the initial quote
I ended up in the unfortunate situation where both my car keys went missing in quick succession (and I've not lost a car or house key in 20 years…). The car reasonably modern, which means keys are supplied by the dealer only, and the control unit in the car needs replacing to accommodate complete re-keying.
After quite a bit of trying to find a locksmith who could get me access to the car (none could do it in situ due to the control unit issue) I got several quotes from £1200 to £1600 because of the control unit also needing replacing.
When I spoke to the nearest dealership they sent me a quote for ~£900, which seemed reasonable. Given a similar amount of money would let me replacement brake-pads & discs & suspension on two wheels (no small job!) £900 for new keys, new control unit, and the labour seemed entirely reasonable, so I took the quote and was told it would take about 10 days for keys to arrive. I had discussed with them that the control unit would need replacing.
When the keys arrived, they told me they were unable to re-key the car because they needed a new control unit. The £900 quote covered the keys only! (The quote listed part numbers but the description said "keys" and "transmitters". I took "transmitters" to be the car-side parts because they were so expensive.)
They've sent me a new bill for £150 for the labour trying to rekey the car, and another £950 worth of parts for the control unit and locking system, and told me it will be another 10 days while parts arrive. I've had to get a hire car (they weren't able to loan me a car) at a cost of £400 to cover the extra delay.
Do I have options here to reduce my costs or get some money back? My view is that they should have known that the control unit would need replacing at the start. This should have been reflected in the original quote. £1900 is a reasonable amount more than what some reputable locksmiths had quoted me, provided I could get the car towed to them.
They also would have put the control unit on order at the same time as the keys, so it would have arrived with the keys and I wouldn't have to be without my car for an extra 10 days, and wouldn't need to hire a replacement car.
I want to object to:
- The burying the lede on the more expensive part of the works
- The cost of the replacement keys & fobs, which does seem to be over the odds
- The cost of the labour to discover they needed the control unit
And ask them to cover the cost of the hire car I needed while the control unit was on order.
Am I likely to get any of these costs (partially) covered, and how do I go about asking them to do so?
Comments
-
If they havent started the work, reject the new quote and take your car elsewhere.
If locksmiths are quoting up to £1600, £1900 from a main dealer seems about right. When my wife lost her key, Nissan quoted £220 whereas Timspons sold us an unbranded version that works just as well for £95.
1 -
Depends on the detail, was it an estimate or a firm quote.
0 -
Does your insurance cover this?
0 -
Yes this. Saw a post on here last year that made me aware of the ridiculous cost of lost car keys (and I don't even have a keyless job) so made sure that my next insurance renewal was a policy that included this cover.
1 -
My replacement Skoda key cost £500 programmed to the car.
No new unit needed.
0 -
Some policies include house as well as car keys in their cover.
Play with the expectation of winning not the fear of failure. S.Clarke0 -
my wife’s uncle recently lost his key for his discovery sport, he was quoted £900 which, he said, included the new control unit, he had to get two keys as the old one won’t work anymore, thing is, he thinks he lost them at the petrol station but luckily?, he had the spare in the car so was able to drive home..
0 -
I put a tag on my car keys giving my mobile phone No. Also have a Airtag on another set. I found out that a new fob for a Toyota Cross costs £500
0 -
I put a tag on my car keys giving my mobile phone No. Also have a Airtag on another set. I found out that a new fob for a Toyota Cross costs £500..Not sure why they cost so much to replace.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

